MINI Cooper Forum banner

Should I buy a Cooper D

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  minione2002 
#1 ·
Hi. First time posting on this forum.

I am looking at buying a 2011 Diesel Manual (68k on the clock). I currently have a 2011 Polo DSG and have been disappointed with the recent quality of VWs and think that the Polo will not last especially with the DSG gearbox.

I am after something that will last and has good build quality, I like the idea of a diesel and manual gearbox for these reasons.

I don't really know anything about the Minis, we drove it and really liked it.

I am pretty handy mechanically so would service it my self when the time comes, have done timing belts in Jeep CRD so familiar with that stuff.

It seems this model has a Peugeot Diesel engine, how is it rated will I get 300 or 400k out of it if I look after it with regular servicing ? Would it be better to get the SD which I think has a 2l BMW engine ?

I figured the manual box would also give us longevity, or will the auto last just as good ?

Are there any known issues or problems to look out for with this year and model ?

What is the service interval for the timing belt, I read 160k or 240k ? Seems high I do the Jeeps at 100k.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated on anything that might help me to take the plunge with a Mini, noting I have not dealt with them at all before.

Thanks
Kim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I have had a 2011 manuel cooper d now for 16 months and love it when I was looking to buy one I was advised to go for the one with the BMW engine so that's what I got with 37k and cant fault it most of my driving is around north London/ south Hertfordshire so plenty of town work and I get around 45 mpg I recently had a weekend away a did 480 miles what cost me £31 to refuel when I got home I believe the BMW engine has a timing chain. So far touch wood I have had no problems all know the brake pad warning came on the other day saying 1000 miles . My next car will be a cooper sd next . I hope when you get one you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine

#3 ·
We have 2013 R56 SD with 2.0 BMW diesel engine and 26000 Km. It is our second car. Your options are to buy three type of engines 1.6 PSA, 1.6 BMW and 2.0 BMW version with 115 HP and 143 HP. Whatever type of engine you buy it will be ok, I personally prefer 2.0 better torque curve. And for the maintenance nothing serious normal oil change and filters, just a little bit disappointed with the quality of the interior (little squeaking and rattling of plastic).

#6 ·
I would recommend you to avoid anything that has to do with a 1.6 PSA. Bad engines and at the end if you want to buy a BMW build why would you get one with a Peugeot engine. You can buy a Peugeot directly and will cost you much less. Personal opinion, avoid the one with Peugeot engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.