MINI Cooper Forum banner

Cooper Diesel PSA 1.6 HDI Hesitation in low rpms

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Gibbo82 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I currently own a 2008 Mini Cooper Diesel with 1.6 HDI engine from PSA with about 150k kilometers since I imported it from Belgium to Portugal.

I am experiencing some issues with my mini. For example, when I am about to enter a roundabout it hesitates in low rpms in 1st gear, also when I get out of the roundabout and I slightly press the gas pedal it hesitates for about 1 sec and then takes off like a rocket, like nothing has happend.

I did some research and a I have found quite a few people with the same issue with this engine, but no specific solutions. I heard that it could be the EGR fault, MAF sensor dirty...etc

Yesterday i checked my air filter and it was a bit dirty, so I am thinking in buying the K&N washable air filter and replace it with the existing one.

#4 ·
i also had this problem

i had this problem myself, if you are talking about the "lack of gas" when going from a stop to about 1000 rpm, it had like a verry small cough, then went like it was twin turbo for a second, i ended up cleaning my dpf, and oil i think, the second one not being really needed, the problem i think was that the dpf was coged and made back pressure if this can be a thing, idk, it was like you put something to block the exhaust, meanwhile, before the dpf i changed the turbo's exhaust pipe, the one on the passenger side, which is curved since the original one was punctured and lost pressure.. had to go like that for about 300km's to find a car graveyard that had one, since showrooms always overprice them, and actually found a thicker one and cut it to my dimensions so that i'm sure it won't pucture again.
But that did not end my problems.. i had about 3 months of happines until one turbo went shyet, then i bought a new turbo kit, changed the oil, drainded the old one from the intercooler, well, guess what, that happened in november last year, i took 3 months, in february, the second turbo kit was on the way, this time they said it was an oil shortage somehow, they claimed to have cleaned it and also changed the seals for the injectors, as they were "breathing air", well, fast forward another 2 months, the turbo is shooting smoke outside it's case for the 3rd time, and one injector is again leaking, not to talk about insane rattles in the dashboard as the roads in our country are far from good, that said, give it a good investigation, i told you these things so that you have something to start with, maybe it's corelated to your problem, and also if anyone knows anything deeper into this problem, it can also help my problem get solved.

#4 ·
Just in case anybody is experiencing similar problems and is searching for solutions - try changing the fuel filter. I had the exact same problem (rough idle/ stuttering/stumbling when accelerating in low revs) as the op and changed the fuel filter, problem instantly disappeared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.