MINI Cooper Forum banner

S vs SD acceleration

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 ·
I currently have an R56 Mini Cooper S, and have been offered an R56 Mini Cooper SD by my company as a replacement.

Is there much difference in the Mid Range acceleration speeds? I see people on these forums refer to 'published figures' but I can't find anything anywhere to compare the two...

#4 ·
I've never owned an S but the thing about an SD is that it is really high-geared and, perhaps because it's my first diesel, I find I run out of revs at the bottom end of the rev range, not the top.

So for example, even the economy-minded gear change indicator won't recommend changing up into sixth gear until nearly 50mph at small throttle openings on level road. Come to a corner and I've found it disappointing how often I need to change down to maintain performance - probably as often as I had to in my previous justa (non-turbo) Cooper.

In contrast the new F56 petrol engines look to have a massively wide 'power band', so I think I'll go back to a Cooper next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.