MINI Cooper Forum banner

Swaping the fuel tank for a 50L one

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  minione2002 
#1 ·
After moving house and not wanting to out 500 miles a week on the Mini just commuting, I swapped with my wife and now hammer our trusty Seat Ibiza up and down the M6 every day.

I fancy swapping back but, due to the generosity of my employer, there's a bit of a proble. I get up to 50 litres of diesel a week off him and this has to be in one fill. I can manage a week in the Ibiza if I brim it, but there's no way 40 litres in the SD will do it. I see the Cooper S tank is 50 litres.

You know where this is going... can the 50 litre tank be put in the SD in a straight forward manner?

#11 ·
My 2004 petrol R50 Cooper returns a steady 38mpg on an average run and 44mpg if driven nice.

What folk have to remember, to get the best fuel consumption from your car it has to be in prime condition, I. E tyre psi correct, boot/ trunk not full of unwanted shyte, engine serviced etc and that's before you drive it! When driving keep your revs under 2500 and keep the car rolling for all long as possible rather than stop/ start at junctions/ traffic lights etc and when driving on the motorway use the slipstream from large vehicles to pull you along so in effect your using their fuel!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Good advice Sean! :) I tend to change between 1900-2500 revs occasionally I boot it to 3000-3500 max. Gearing does make a difference - if the revs are too low the car has to labour and therefore use more fuel, revs too high-same result. Got to find the sweet spot.

I'd say speeding is a big one though, I'm black boxed and that makes a huge difference in fuel consumption. Just sticking dead on 30/30 or 40/40 makes a big difference (usually helps at traffic lights too) and thinking about it, I only brim my tank once a month when I have to do a big journey. I usually fill up to half most of the time. The average is pretty good, stuck in traffic in the morning when getting into town;mix of 30mph, 50 and 60mph roads and completely traffic free on the way back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.