Pathetic Fuel Consumption....Do something about it! - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Countryman

MINI Countryman MINI Countryman 2010 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:08 PM
United Kingdom
Mines all wheel drive getting 42, so quite pleased

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:08 PM
United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by steeve (original)
The Countryman is Golf, A3 and Focus size (actually its quite a bit smaller)....

But where it matters, in cross sectional area, the Countryman is quite a bit bigger - it's the same body width as an A3 but almost 150mm/6" higher. So that's 11% more cross-sectional area and that has to be multiplied by the difference in drag coefficients (0.36 .v. 0.33) and you would expect the Countryman to use at least 20% more fuel at motorway speeds.

As you say you are in the trade, you will know that there isn't a significant high speed component of the fuel consumption tests and so that's why the Countryman's poor high speed drag and fuel economy doesn't show up in the official figures.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
I have a Honda CRV, its loads bigger, Heavier & has an older engine design 57 plate & can do almost 50mpg at 70mph if i accelerate gentle, pre-empt traffic conditions etc Now tell me why the Countryman D cant do what the bullshitters (MINI) say it could do.. btw exchanging for a countryman (arrives next week) cause my wife always wanted 1.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 08:38 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Tabintab (original)
Now tell me why the Countryman D cant do what the bullshitters (MINI) say it could do.. btw exchanging for a countryman (arrives next week) cause my wife always wanted 1.

Sounds like your wife needs to go to MINI and sort them out to me, she wanted one.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:08 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by The Nun (original)
Sounds like your wife needs to go to MINI and sort them out to me, she wanted one.

And then they have the Gaul say we don't love them, and men are pigs

Oink oink
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 11:38 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by Tabintab (original)
I have a Honda CRV, its loads bigger, Heavier & has an older engine design 57 plate & can do almost 50mpg at 70mph if.....

The motorway-only mpg figures from Which? are:
Countryman D 45.6mpg
Countryman SD 44.8mpg
CR-V 2.2 diesel 2001-7 34.4mpg
CR-V 2.2 diesel 2007-on 36.2mpg

So they couldn't achieve the same results.

And for those who want to have a scare:
Countryman S 30.4mpg

Gulp.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
Steeve

United Kingdom View steeve's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by Angib (original)
The motorway-only mpg figures from Which? are:
Countryman D 45.6mpg
Countryman SD 44.8mpg
CR-V 2.2 diesel 2001-7 34.4mpg
CR-V 2.2 diesel 2007-on 36.2mpg

So they couldn't achieve the same results.

And for those who want to have a scare:
Countryman S 30.4mpg

Gulp.

Bit different from the Published figures of 64+ mpg for the SD.
I dont have a problem with 44 if thats what I can read on the Mini site, then I can make a decent buying decision based on FACTS.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom
Bit different from the Published figures of 64+ mpg for the SD.

No, because there is no such thing as official mpg figures for motorway use - those are Which's own test that they have invented themselves.

Mini quote the official figures, which do not include (significant) motorway use and that seems to be where the Countryman's mpg goes down the pan.

Owners' complaint is really with the EU for having unrealistic testing procedure.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Steeve

Ok its Urban that is quoted. However mine gets it best mpg figures on good dual carriageways or motorways.

If you want honest mpg figures then look at the US Mini site, they dont inflate theirs due to stronger consumer protection laws. See my post in the fuel consumption topic.
Dont you think it's strange that the UK car is quoted as being 14 mpg (imperial) better than the same car in the US?

As for EU having unrealistic procedures it seems to work for most other cars. Even my wifes Mini Cooper Hatch gets pretty close to published figures, It seems that the Countryman is the one so out of step.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 03:53 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom
Which? (as in the Consumers Association) have recently tested the new Volvo V40 and got nearly 20mpg worse than Volvo report - and again it appears to be motorway economy that makes a big difference. But even on the urban Which? were 13mpg worse than Volvo - and they've even got slightly better results than BMW on a 1 series.

They suggested they will take the question further and as they have power to issue a super-complaint (a complaint which bodies like the Fair Trade Office must respond to), we must hope they will do so.

What is needed is to persuade the European Commission to change their economy tests in exactly the same way that the US did a couple of years ago in order to make them more realistic - that's the reason why US figures are different.

Wingeing about manufacturers isn't going to do anything - they have an official test that they must follow and to expect them to break the law - in order to show worse results - is pointless.
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Steeve

Quote: Originally Posted by Angib (original)
Which? (as in the Consumers Association) have recently tested the new Volvo V40 and got nearly 20mpg worse than Volvo report - and again it appears to be motorway economy that makes a big difference. But even on the urban Which? were 13mpg worse than Volvo - and they've even got slightly better results than BMW on a 1 series.

They suggested they will take the question further and as they have power to issue a super-complaint (a complaint which bodies like the Fair Trade Office must respond to), we must hope they will do so.

What is needed is to persuade the European Commission to change their economy tests in exactly the same way that the US did a couple of years ago in order to make them more realistic - that's the reason why US figures are different.

Wingeing about manufacturers isn't going to do anything - they have an official test that they must follow and to expect them to break the law - in order to show worse results - is pointless.

I know that the manufacturers do their own tests, there is little over sight by the certification bodies. The tests in the EU and USA are quite similar. The main difference being class action law suits in the USA

Hence the USA numbers are much more realistic.
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom
You must have missed that the EPA changed the US tests a few years ago, specifically to make them more in line with drivers' experiences.

I saw an amusing discussion by some conspiracy theorists (victims?) that the US government was intentionally making car fuel economy worse.....
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 09:42 AM
MINI2 Regular

View My MINI me and me's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Clubman Profile View My MINI me and me's Classified Ads
I hope you have all seen the Topic below?

[url]http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-countryman/184253-mpg-your-countryman-6.

On the VCA website it is advised that "because of the need to maintain strict comparability of results achieved by the standard tests they cannot be fully representative of real-life driving conditions. Firstly, it is not practicable For these reasons the consumption achieved on the road will not necessarily accord with the official test results."[/i]

We have published the figures that have been achieved and approved during testing and it is accepted by the regulating body that these figures may not be achievable in normal driving conditions. The VCA website also advises that "the fuel consumption testing scheme is intended to give car buyers comparative information about the fuel consumption of different models in standard tests."

"I understand that you have approached MINI UK Customer Service directly, with a view to obtaining information on this issue. However, from a practical perspective, our network of MINI Approved Dealerships are best placed to offer you this advice. As your dealership have inspected the vehicle and stated that there is no defect, we would stand by their diagnosis. Nevertheless, should you remain unhappy, you can seek a second opinion from an alternative approved dealership, if you wish to do so."

Pretty much standard disclaimers, in 10 years of ownership I only ever achieved the quoted economy when driving at about 60mph downhill on the M3 from Winchester Services. However all cars suffer from this.

There is an "Urban" motoring myth that an owner once got a full refund when he challenged the manufacturer to show them how they could achieve the quoted figures, might be worth looking up before you go as recommended to your approved dealer?

I shall call him..."MINI-Me"! Silver/Black MC 2002-2006 - "MINI Me Too" Chilli Red MCS auto 2006-2008 - MINI Me III Mini Dooper Clubman auto 2008-2012 RIP .......2012 The abominable Skoda Yeti!
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Wales
I know that the manufacturers do their own tests, there is little over sight by the certification bodies. The tests in the EU and USA are quite similar. The main difference being class action law suits in the USA

Hence the USA numbers are much more realistic.

sorry for dragging up an old thread but the info i found on mini usa sites gave my mini a mpg of 31 usa[37mpg converted, am i doing it right] and the uk one gave 64mpg.
are these cars different? i think not.

i have written to mini about the wrongly worded claim on their fuel tests [ the numbers that count is their quote]and got the same reply as others-----a standard letter.
the car goes back in on 21st/24th march to be checked again----i know the result before it goes, don't i.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 02:23 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
My big ass Volvo V70 D5 does a good 42 mpg .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement