Pathetic Fuel Consumption....Do something about it! - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Countryman

MINI Countryman MINI Countryman 2010 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Steeve

Local Time: 01:39 PM
United Kingdom View steeve's Classified Ads
Pathetic Fuel Consumption....Do something about it!

I hope you have all seen the Topic below?

http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-coun...ntryman-6.html

It seems that an awful lot of us are unhappy with the obtained fuel economy.

I'm driving around so steady yet am at least 33% away from the official figures. I never really expect to achieve what the Manufacturer states. But I do expect to get close to it. I've managed that on all my previous cars. We can even get close on my wifes Cooper Hatch.

On my Countryman SD 2wd manual, country driving (extra urban?) I am getting 42 to 43 mpg yet Mini shows.....

Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (urban) 54.3 mpg
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (urban) 38.7 mpg
Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (extra-urban) 65.7 mpg
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (extra-urban) 58.9 mpg
Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (combined) 61.4 mpg
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (combined) 49.6 mpg

I've written to Mini and get their standard response which is below.

Thank you for your email dated September 17, 2012, regarding the fuel consumption of your MINI Countryman. Please accept my sincere apologies for the reasons which have given you cause to contact us on this occasion.

I certainly appreciate your concern and disappointment in relation to this matter. However, I can confirm that the fuel consumption figures published are independently regulated and monitored by the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) and are achieved in accordance with their recommended testing conditions. On the VCA website it is advised that "because of the need to maintain strict comparability of results achieved by the standard tests they cannot be fully representative of real-life driving conditions. Firstly, it is not practicable to test each individual new car; thus only one production car is tested as being representative of the model and may therefore produce a better or worse result than another similar vehicle. Secondly, there are infinite variations in driving styles and in road, car and weather conditions, all of which can have a bearing on the results achieved. For these reasons the consumption achieved on the road will not necessarily accord with the official test results."

We have published the figures that have been achieved and approved during testing and it is accepted by the regulating body that these figures may not be achievable in normal driving conditions. The VCA website also advises that "the fuel consumption testing scheme is intended to give car buyers comparative information about the fuel consumption of different models in standard tests."

"I understand that you have approached MINI UK Customer Service directly, with a view to obtaining information on this issue. However, from a practical perspective, our network of MINI Approved Dealerships are best placed to offer you this advice. As your dealership have inspected the vehicle and stated that there is no defect, we would stand by their diagnosis. Nevertheless, should you remain unhappy, you can seek a second opinion from an alternative approved dealership, if you wish to do so."

So if you are unhappy with your cars economy, please in the first instance write to MINI. The more the merrier.

customer.service@mini.co.uk

Also write (like I have) to BBC Watchdog, if we write to Watchdog we may get some action and it will at least highlight the issue. What have we to lose? Link below, it's easy enough.

BBC - Watchdog - Send your story

I am seriously thinking of selling my Countryman SD. Whilst I like the car if I'm going to drive round in something so slow and get such poor mileage I might as well get something a little more exciting and get the same mpg.

Come on pick up your pens (so to speak) and do something. Please post on here if you've written so we get some idea of the level of contact.

STEVE.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 20th, 2012, 02:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I have done the same, got EXACTLY the same reply. I am getting 42 on a countryman sd allwd . I've given up and have accepted it now as it will out drive you in sane!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:39 PM
United Kingdom Male
I average 47 mpg out of a Freelander 2 ! thats about twice as heavy.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
England

The UN and EU are looking at a new 'realistic' set of tests, but they are unfortunately still some years away.

Until then all manufacturers have a free 'Get Out of Jail Card' from the DfT in the UK. It has been noted recently that the UK figures are far more optimistic than those conducted under the auspices of the EPA in the US - and 30% seems about right.

It isn't right, but that's the system we are currently stuck with. I suspect that some of it will be to do with manufacturers and governments trying to make their attempt at improving Carbon emission levels more positive than is really the case.

A What Car report in April did list Mini (amongst others) as being too wide of the mark, but BMW/Mini simply spout the DfT response to all queries. For the 1.6D the official figures are between 70-75 mpg but the real figures are more than 20mpg less - as we Owners are finding.

Current: 2011 X6 40d & 2012 Countryman SD All4
Project: 2005 E46 330Cd M Sport convertible
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 08:00 AM
Steeve

On previous other makes of cars, VW and Audi etc I have always been within 5 to 10% of the published figures. I think Mini are taking the Michael. but at least lets try and raise the awareness?
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
This is not a mini thing, car companies have started competing heavily on mpg, so they are now engineering thier cars to perform best on the test, not the road.
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
England

Quote: Originally Posted by ging (original)
This is not a mini thing, car companies have started competing heavily on mpg, so they are now engineering thier cars to perform best on the test, not the road.

In the days of government run Radiocoommunications equipment type approval tests some manufacturers tried it on and sent us special 'sample sets' for testing which had added components for the testing to make sure they passed. We called them 'golden sets' and rejected them as being 'unrepresentative of the product to be marketed'. I wonder how much truth there is of the same thing in the motor industry, and these days we have 'self-certification' allowed too. Or maybe I'm a tad cynical?

Mind you, my X6 is within 3-5mpg of the 'official' data most of the time. Perhaps it's a Mini thing due to the target market and level of competition in that sector?

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:26 AM
MCS-W11NJP

United Kingdom Male
I am surprised to hear about fuel consumption complaints. What engine does the SD countryman have?

I have owned a 2007 cooper s now for about a month and I am staggered by how good it is on fuel and yet it goes like stink. The official figures are as follows for me

Urban: 35.8
Combined: 45.6
Extra Urban: 54.3

Well so far I think I have had 3 tanks of fuel and have averaged 36/37mpg so I have been very chuffed, also I certainly dont hang about it in before you say I must drive like a grandma, I am a 21 year old male. Cant understand how a diesel engine would only be doing slightly better MPG than that, definately think its worth you guys sticking together and going to someone like watchdog over this.

Nick
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 11:45 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:39 AM
United States Male
United-States

We were averaging 28 mpg in town, until broke in and then averaged 30.3 mpg for quite a while until I read the fuel requirement and put in 93 Oct and get a 34.6 mpg in town and have seen over 40 mpg on highway, if I keep my foot out of it.

Charlie Croker ,BRG 03 Cooper S, SCCA Solo, PDX, Time Trials, RoadRally, and Stella, 011 Oxford Grn Countryman S
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
DIY

Quote: Originally Posted by MCS-W11NJP (original)
I am surprised to hear about fuel consumption complaints. What engine does the SD countryman have?

2-litre turbocharged unit, 141bhp, 6-speed manual. Auto is avail but economy suffers.

Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 04:00 PM
Steeve

My wife has a Mini Cooper Hatch, petrol and we are pleased with that. The consumption on that is close to the official figures.

But my Countryman SD struggles to get past 46 mpg on the Motorway at 70mph on the cruise. My neighbour has an Audi A6 2 litre Diesel and he thrashes it everywherer he goes. He works in Leicester yet averages 49 mpg....? My close friend has a Golf GTD and easily gets an average of 55mpg.

The SD should be much closer to the official figures. I certainly realise I'm never going to hit them. Slow Country driving is getting me 42mpg, combined (never mind extra urban) is shown as 61.4 mpg.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by MCS-W11NJP (original)

I have owned a 2007 cooper s now for about a month and I am staggered by how good it is on fuel and yet it goes like stink. The official figures are as follows for me

Urban: 35.8
Combined: 45.6
Extra Urban: 54.3

Well so far I think I have had 3 tanks of fuel and have averaged 36/37mpg so I have been very chuffed, also I certainly dont hang about it in before you say I must drive like a grandma, I am a 21 year old male. Cant understand how a diesel engine would only be doing slightly better MPG than that, definately think its worth you guys sticking together and going to someone like watchdog over this.

Nick

The countryman is a much heavier car and not as aerodynamic as the hatch. Still well off official figures but 42 mpg for a heavy 4 we'd is not too shabby ;-)

Old Sep 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM
MINI2 Regular

England
I have a Countryman SD All4 manual with 11k on the clock. I do a regular run of 35 miles over country roads rising to a height of 1350ft and then dropping to sea level. If I drive with a very light foot I can achieve 53 mpg for the trip. However, if I use the sport button and push along this drops to 45 mpg.

Last month I did a long trip of 750 miles over motorways and A roads with some town and traffic driving and averaged 48mpg overall.

I have found that the diesel I use makes some difference with the best results achieved on Esso or Shell and try to stick with these brands when I can.

For my part I can accept this considering the roads I drive on and type of vehicle the Countryman is. I previously had a Nissan Xtrail 2.0 dCi and the best I could achieve was 38mpg.

I agree that the fuel consumption is a long way off that stated by Mini but as we all know, the current test is in laboratory conditions and I did not pay much attention to their claimed figures when considering a Countryman.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Steeve

My Cooper SD is 2wd not four.

As mentioned before I have no expectations to get the published enonomy numbers.

But past experience with many different cars tells me that I should not expect to be at least 33% off the published numbers.

The Countryman is Golf, A3 and Focus size (actually its quite a bit smaller) the actual consumption figures for those vehicles is much closer to those provided by their makers.

A relatively small car with a 2 litre diesel engine should do better than 43'ish to the gallon. I had expectations of getting at least 50 mpg based on the combined figure of 64.1.

I honestly believe that Mini's published figures are incorrect or fudged as they are so far away from what most people seem to be obtaining.

Manufacturers make big of the published figures in the vehicle advertising. Having worked for a vehicle manufacturer for almost 40 years I am well aware and knowledgable of type approval, homologation vehicle certification etc etc.

In this case I feel Mini are not being honest.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Steeve

Quote: Originally Posted by ddommen (original)
The countryman is a much heavier car and not as aerodynamic as the hatch. Still well off official figures but 42 mpg for a heavy 4 we'd is not too shabby ;-)

Mines 2wd and its lighter than a Focus, Golf and an A3 yet it doesnt match them on actual economy, although the Mini's quoted MPG figures are the highest.

So really 42mpg from a light 2wd diesel engined car is very shabby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement