Slight vibration through Steering wheel - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Countryman


MINI Countryman MINI Countryman 2010 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 159
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
England Slight vibration through Steering wheel

I've started to notice a high frequency vibration through the steering wheel of my Cooper D between 1500 - 2000 rpm of the engine. It became slightly uncomfortable over a 40 mile journey as I was getting a very mild tingling sensation in my fingers.

A mechanic at the dealership has test drove the car and agreed there appears to be vibration and I should book the car in for a check-up, which i subsequently did.

Today we receive a phone call from the dealership that they have tried several cars & they all vibrate like my car. So is its a feature of this model? My previous car to this, a Honda CRV was vibration free.

Anyone else have this problem? Have you reported it to the dealer? What was the response?

Tab
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 09:36 PM
zf44's Avatar
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
I have a 2011/11 Cooper D 2WD with 19k miles, no vibrations at all on any speed. Best to get a second opinion with another dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 12:20 AM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 159
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
Woll do, thanks for the reply.

Tab
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 159
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
England

Quote: Originally Posted by zf44 (original)
I have a 2011/11 Cooper D 2WD with 19k miles, no vibrations at all on any speed. Best to get a second opinion with another dealer.

I went to see the Guy who sold me the car and asked for a comparison against another car. After an explanation of the fault, a test & him giving me a free gift (iPhone connector cable) he said there was something wrong and he will sort out bringing the car in for a fix.

Its nice to know some people are interested in problems you find

Tab
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,877
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Tabintab (original)
& him giving me a free gift (iPhone connector cable) he said there was something wrong and he will sort out bringing the car in for a fix.

Its nice to know some people are interested in problems you find

Tab

Thats jolly nice of the guy, just check he doesnt add it onto any bill at the end of it all, some are a bit crafty like that.
Its probably one someone brought back because they couldnt get it to work
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Steeve
Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Far Corfe
Posts: 361
Local Time: 03:10 PM
United Kingdom View steeve's Classified Ads
Shouldnt shake at all. Sounds as though it could be an out of balance wheel. However if that doesnt fix it then start to worry, it could be a sign of previous damage, does it run straight with hands off the steering wheel? Did you get it from a main dealer?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 159
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
England

Quote: Originally Posted by steeve (original)
Shouldnt shake at all. Sounds as though it could be an out of balance wheel. However if that doesnt fix it then start to worry, it could be a sign of previous damage, does it run straight with hands off the steering wheel? Did you get it from a main dealer?

Its brand spanking new. Vibration is engine related as it does it stationary.

Was contacted by the mini service desk to bring the car in. Lady there mentioned that other Countryman have a similar vibration and they will try what they can. I told her it needs fixing and the vibration will not do.

I have a bad feeling about her attitude which was like - will will give it a try , but tough **** cause others do it. Sooo glad I have free solicitors with my bank account, i think a swift letter may be required if I don't get the result I want.

Just got to wait a week or so, I just don't have time to take it in and sit about for a few hrs whilst I wait for the mechanics to work it. Will keep u posted.

Tab
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:07 PM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 159
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
Quick update.

MINI can't find the reason for the engine vibration & there is nothing they will do about it unless they can pin point exactly what is causing it. Not even willing to swap the engine support bushes, which is a likely culprit.

Well its the last mini product im ever going to buy and to think were a 2 mini family. Glad MINI UK sent me a customer questionare, because I got another chance to tell MINI how disappointed I am.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 53
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
United-Kingdom

Quote: Originally Posted by Tabintab (original)
MINI can't find the reason for the engine vibration & there is nothing they will do about it unless they can pin point exactly what is causing it.

What are you on about buddy, wouldnt believe it for a second
A friend of mine bought a new hatch last year. This year, 4000 something miles on the clock, he loses oil pressure about 15 minutes away from home. So he drove the car all the way anyway Here is a timeline, yeah. He calls mini uk on saturday around 1pm - their engineer is on his doorstep in about 40 minuts. Plugged in his diagnostic tool, 10 minutes later the result comes back, something is wrong with the oil pump. So they need to take the car to the dealers. The engineer then calls his office arranges everything, including a courtesy car, and leaves. Another hour later a truck tows my mates hatch away. And as the truck leaves the gates, a guy from enterprise delivers a courtesy car Thats all done within 3 hours on saturday afternoon, yeah. The dealer then spent whole monday looking at the oil pump. So my mate gets a call from the dealer a day later and is told that as their mechanics couldnt figure out what exactly was wrong with the pump they sent all telemetry to BMW in real time and they said dont bother, just replace the pump. The next day the new pump is shipped, fitted and tested. All in all, my mate is driving his hatch again on wednesday
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
bmwr606
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 179
Local Time: 10:10 AM
United States
United-States

i don't have a diesel engine, mine is a gas turbo, but if i drive between 1,500 rpm and 2,000 rpm it shakes like a paint mixer

i keep a minimum of 2,200 rpm -2,300 rpm to minimize vibration

scott

2012 CM S All4 (03/12) | Abs Black w/White Roof/Mirrors/18" White Wheels | Cold Pkg | Sport Pkg | Xenon w/ Black Housings| Manual | Sport Susp| Anth Headliner | Flat Load Floor | Bluetooth | 2 Part Center Rail | Milltek downpipe back exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:09 PM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 159
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
England DPF Regen

I've previously had a quick response like you mention, had a Technician on my doorstep & diagnostic check in hours. (Did you know MINI don't do the recovery thing themselves, but another company does it for them, they drive Audi). My wife thought the car was going to catch fire, turned our the engine was doing a DPF regen

Thing is, my car was not going to break, catch fire or run out of oil. Its one of those things where you may or may not notice the vibration dependant on what your used to or have experience with. I last owned a Honda with Jap Engineering so got spoiled for quality and refinement. Moving to German 4 pot diesel car was like going backwards 10 years. I will put up with it because I cant afford to swap again Sorry Honda, I wont do it again, I have learned my lesson, please forgive me


Tab


Quote: Originally Posted by greenlanddock (original)
What are you on about buddy, wouldnt believe it for a second
A friend of mine bought a new hatch last year. This year, 4000 something miles on the clock, he loses oil pressure about 15 minutes away from home. So he drove the car all the way anyway Here is a timeline, yeah. He calls mini uk on saturday around 1pm - their engineer is on his doorstep in about 40 minuts. Plugged in his diagnostic tool, 10 minutes later the result comes back, something is wrong with the oil pump. So they need to take the car to the dealers. The engineer then calls his office arranges everything, including a courtesy car, and leaves. Another hour later a truck tows my mates hatch away. And as the truck leaves the gates, a guy from enterprise delivers a courtesy car Thats all done within 3 hours on saturday afternoon, yeah. The dealer then spent whole monday looking at the oil pump. So my mate gets a call from the dealer a day later and is told that as their mechanics couldnt figure out what exactly was wrong with the pump they sent all telemetry to BMW in real time and they said dont bother, just replace the pump. The next day the new pump is shipped, fitted and tested. All in all, my mate is driving his hatch again on wednesday

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:10 PM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 159
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
England

Never had the vibration thing with a petrol. Looks like your mini needs a checkup also


Tab

Quote: Originally Posted by bmwr606 (original)
i don't have a diesel engine, mine is a gas turbo, but if i drive between 1,500 rpm and 2,000 rpm it shakes like a paint mixer

i keep a minimum of 2,200 rpm -2,300 rpm to minimize vibration

scott

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:30 AM
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 53
Local Time: 04:10 PM
United Kingdom
United-Kingdom

Quote: Originally Posted by Tabintab (original)
Did you know MINI don't do the recovery thing themselves, but another company does it for them, they drive Audi
Tab

They all use third party recovery services, including Audi.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:05 PM
bmwr606
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 179
Local Time: 10:10 AM
United States
Quote: Originally Posted by Tabintab (original)
Never had the vibration thing with a petrol. Looks like your mini needs a checkup also

Quote: Originally Posted by bmwr606 (original)
i don't have a diesel engine, mine is a gas turbo, but if i drive between 1,500 rpm and 2,000 rpm it shakes like a paint mixer

i keep a minimum of 2,200 rpm -2,300 rpm to minimize vibration

scott

Tab

every N18 us spec i have driven is rough below 2,000 rpm

maybe it is how they are tuned to meet us emissions, but they are all like that

other than that, my car runs perfectly, i am even averaging .8 mpg OVER the published figures for combined mpg of 28 mpg

scott

2012 CM S All4 (03/12) | Abs Black w/White Roof/Mirrors/18" White Wheels | Cold Pkg | Sport Pkg | Xenon w/ Black Housings| Manual | Sport Susp| Anth Headliner | Flat Load Floor | Bluetooth | 2 Part Center Rail | Milltek downpipe back exhaust
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

» Recent Threads
Brake servo stopped working!
Today 02:32 PM
by Joe 90
Last post by Joe 90
Today 02:32 PM
0 Replies, 15 Views
BMW Engined Cooper D fuel consumption?
Feb 20th, 2011 07:12 PM
by dukex
Last post by nigel207
Today 02:19 PM
108 Replies, 34,914 Views
Back Up Light stays on
Yesterday 05:26 PM
Last post by The Nun
Today 12:00 PM
1 Replies, 166 Views
Side light bulb
Today 11:39 AM
Last post by kinglooy007
Today 11:39 AM
0 Replies, 79 Views
2nd hand JCW Sytner Coventry
Jul 16th, 2014 06:38 PM
by LA3195
Last post by LA3195
Today 09:49 AM
5 Replies, 692 Views
Mini One R50 from Poland
Yesterday 05:35 PM
Last post by protetyk_mirus
Today 08:14 AM
4 Replies, 236 Views
Cold start issue
Jul 23rd, 2014 11:20 PM
Last post by race4aliving
Today 04:19 AM
2 Replies, 358 Views
Need help with part numbers - CV boots for right front axle MCS
Jul 5th, 2014 11:09 PM
Last post by David.R53
Today 02:19 AM
1 Replies, 397 Views
Northeast Track Days 2014 Schedule
Mar 13th, 2014 03:36 PM
by NTD
Last post by NTD
Today 01:06 AM
10 Replies, 1,189 Views
Northeast Track Days
Apr 25th, 2014 01:09 AM
by NTD
Last post by NTD
Today 01:03 AM
5 Replies, 938 Views
Steve McQueen's Mini Cooper S
Yesterday 10:45 PM
by mab01uk
Last post by mab01uk
Yesterday 10:45 PM
0 Replies, 202 Views
fan starts as soon as engine starts
Yesterday 02:45 PM
by 4x4mini
Last post by 4x4mini
Yesterday 10:14 PM
2 Replies, 227 Views
Newbie question for R53 JCW owners
Jun 11th, 2014 01:06 PM
by Chuck21
Last post by Marshalliom
Yesterday 09:55 PM
1 Replies, 688 Views
MINI Superleggera Concept is a Modern Day Classic
May 26th, 2014 11:44 PM
Last post by Marshalliom
Yesterday 09:47 PM
6 Replies, 2,070 Views
air con not working 2010 cooper mayfair
Yesterday 06:10 PM
Last post by shighter
Yesterday 06:10 PM
0 Replies, 156 Views
Thought I fixed it but it's still broke down
Jul 24th, 2014 09:31 PM
by Dolf
Last post by Dolf
Yesterday 05:21 PM
2 Replies, 317 Views
Has anybody chipped/re-mapped a petrol countryman one?
Yesterday 04:52 PM
Last post by Warriorbez
Yesterday 04:52 PM
0 Replies, 146 Views
Flat Spot - What to Check Next?
Yesterday 04:20 PM
Last post by bargeemark
Yesterday 04:20 PM
0 Replies, 155 Views
Question about hood replacement
Jul 24th, 2014 08:25 PM
Last post by drozd
Yesterday 04:13 PM
2 Replies, 245 Views
jl audio CS112LG-TW3 will it fit?
Jul 24th, 2014 06:38 PM
by erictye
Last post by erictye
Yesterday 03:47 PM
2 Replies, 296 Views
» Premium
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2