MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini Countryman Gets a New Clutch (2012 Models Forward)

23K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  mikeyt 
#1 ·
It looks like Automobile Four Seasons reviews were bang on ... there is something wrong with the Countryman Cooper S clutch!!! All 2012 models forward get new electric throttle control programming and a clutch with different friction surface. Case closed.

Mini Countryman to Get Updated Clutch ? News ?*Car and Driver

Happy 2013 Mini Countryman! :)

#2 ·
Here’s the official statement from MINI USA:

As part of the continual refinement and optimization of MINI vehicles, we have improved the take-off convenience and performance of all our MINI Countryman clutches by implementing some software updates as well as changing the clutch facing material to improve the feeling of the clutch engagement. We are sure that these changes will even further improve the convenience of our MINI Countryman models, and will be recognized and appreciated by our customers. These changes coincide with the start of production of our MINI John Cooper Works Countryman as of November 2012.

#5 ·
of my 1,000,000 miles driving cars, all but 80,000 miles has been manual shift and i have driven another 500,000 miles on motorcycles, all with manual shift, so it is not unknown to all americans

my last vehicle before the mini, a 1997 gmc sonoma pickup 4x4 v6 5speed manual, went 288,000 miles on the original clutch before the throwout bearing failed due to corrosion, the clutch disc was only 1/2 worn when i replaced it, the OEM only sells a kit, new master/slave cylinders, throwout bearing, clutch disc and pressure plate so i put all the new parts in

scott

#9 ·
This should have been a recall... I am disappointed to say the least. Next service I will be requesting a new clutch plate. The current one needs a lot of torque to grip and can easily stall uphill. Uphill being a slant greater than 5 degrees... Too bad if you were really offroad.

#10 ·
I did not buy the 2012 model last spring for this and many other problems that 1 out of 2 car mags brought to our attention. MINI's bean counter's would never allow a recall as they can easily prove in court it is not a safety issue. They would never be able to continue calling their product premium, and more importantly charging more than what it's worth, and this would prevent them from meeting their sales targets and long term growth plans. So, they simply call it a mid-model upgrade, and force all their existing customers who forked out their hard earned money to fight it out with their dealership. Bravo MINI, bravo. Dissapointing indeed ...

#12 ·
Beaver - I am not 100% sure but I think it only affects the ALL4 model. Many speculated that the ALL4 is too heavy for the existing clutch so they have provided a new part number. And because the throttle body has been reprogrammed, perhaps the engineers thought the low-end drag/start was forcing users to engage in poor clutch usage.

I would talk to your dealership to be 100% certain that yout car is not affected. Let us know what they say!

#13 ·
Beaver - I am not 100% sure but I think it only affects the ALL4 model. Many speculated that the ALL4 is too heavy for the existing clutch so they have provided a new part number.
Dont know what you folks are on about. I have driven (properly driven) all hatch models and each one of them somehow had different clutch and gear shift. Cooper cabrio had the heaviest clutch while mini one hatch had the heaviest gear shift. So much so, every time I started driving my mcs all4 I was astonished at how light the clutch or shifter were. That said the clutch on my car is stone heavy compared to say toyota avensis. Anyways, I personally dont have any problems with my car, hence I am talking from my experience. Like I said before, I only believe my own eyes, anything else is media crap until proven otherwise.

#14 ·
My cooperD all4 is currently at mini having new clutch fitted under warranty. This is my 6th mini since 2003, all others being hatch's with no issues all traded in at around 60k miles. upgraded to countryman sept 2011 and love it, however clutch has disintegrated after only 25k miles, (mostly motorway). A friend has a BMW x1 and his did the same, and reading other forums it appears we are not alone. No arguments from Mini or BMW lead me to believe they are aware of an issue with the 4wd clutches and are replacing them as and when customers complain. So would recommend anyone who's all4 clutch feels heavy or (like mine) springy and slips when accelerating goes to mini and gets them to check it out.

#17 ·
Countryman Cooper S All4 - New Clutch @ 32K

Hi everyone,

First time poster on this forum, have recently had issues with my Countryman Cooper S All4 (2011), requires a complete new clutch and flywheel unit after doing 32500 miles. Dealer tells me they have found the clutch to be "badly worn/slipped" and that it is not a mechanical failure and not claimable under warranty. Repair bill will be £2036.75 (inclusive of VAT).
Any ideas on how i can get this sorted as i don't seem to be the only one having this sort of issue and the car has not been mistreated.
My Mini is currently sitting in the dealership waiting on further instruction as to whether or not to proceed with repair.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Sam

#18 ·
CM S All4 12 reg new clutch at 15.5k miles

Bought used from MINI Park Lane with 9k on the clock. Complained to my local dealer about hunting when idling, needing a lot of revs when starting off to prevent stalling and the clutch having got rather smelly in standing traffic on a steep hill. Went for first service yesterday and dealer initially invited me to authorise £1,762.46 for a new clutch :aargh:Currently with MINI/BMW Customer Services, with a suggestion that they might consider substantial goodwill, because this is clearly a problem they know about. Have to say my local dealer (Soper, Lincoln) have gone out of their way to help. What makes me really angry :mad: is that MINI know about this and still try to shaft the customer. My brother, by coincidence, has the same car - slightly younger and Sytner Nottingham put a new clutch and flywheel in it and reprogrammed the ECU " as a precaution" at 6k miles. Apparently, it is a different car after that. Would welcome hearing about anyone else's experiences. By the by, this is our 14th MINI, one of 3 we currently have and I have totted up that we must have spent upwards of £250k with MINI in the last 10 years. I know treating the customer like sh.t is a BMW Customer "Service" culture, but hope MINI is a different one

#25 ·
Bought used from MINI Park Lane with 9k on the clock. Complained to my local dealer about hunting when idling, needing a lot of revs when starting off to prevent stalling and the clutch having got rather smelly in standing traffic on a steep hill.

You burned up the clutch by improperly using it and when the dealer/mini is nice enough to replace you complain. Bet they are hoping buy a differend brand next time.:biggrin:

#19 ·
CM S ALL4 Clutch - update

By way of update on this, I got my car back with a new clutch fitted at no cost to me. Soper MINI did an excellent job with BMW/MINI and I cannot fault their customer service

The only problem is that it feels no different. Still the same high bite point, juddering, stalling on take off. I have asked if the new part number friction plate, new flywheel and throttle control module were fitted and the silence is deafening. Currently avoiding lots of hill starts in CM and using my JCW Roadster for day to day journeys, despite the fact the weather is pretty crap in the shire (JCW has much more "smile factor", anyway and has heated seats!)

Back to the plot, I am now concerned that what was originally wrong has just been replaced, like for like. I do have the peace of mind of x years parts and labour warranty, though and, clearly, the car is now in perfect health, so will be worth a good PX....

What is most annoying is that BMW/MINI are incapable of basic integrity, honesty and transparency with customers and the dealer gets caught in the middle. That philosophy pervades the lack of information around service issues (and on new model releases) and, in my opinion, demonstrates a complete lack of respect for customers

#20 ·
I can't believe customers are being shafted for what Mini knows is a factory problem. I am in the situation of having to replace my clutch before brake pads and tyres. Only 2 years into 4 year warranty and only 68,000kms highway driving.

The only drivers misusing my clutch are the service techs that work on my car while it is in every 2nd month for warranty work and the tow truck drivers that struggle to get it on the back of their truck trays when it breaks down.

I am over MINI completely.

#24 ·
my 03/12 all4 manual will be 2 years old on 3/31 and will have ~16,000 miles ... no clutch problems ... in fact zero problems of any kind

i drive it hard, except i do not do drag race starts, my starting technique is minimal gas until the clutch is fully engaged (pedal out, left foot on or headed to, the dead-pedal) then floor the gas, always rev-match downshifts, never "speed shift" ie partial clutch upshifting with wide open throttle, ... have never stalled, never smelled the clutch, never experienced any slippage

also, another point ... my dealer has yet to have anyone complain of a clutch problem on a CM and have not replaced any CM clutches ... they have sold a lot of CMs, but most are autos, maybe 5%-10% are manuals, but still, not one failure

another note, my 1997 gmc sonoma v6 5-speed 4x4 has 300,000 miles, i just replaced the clutch at 285,000 miles ... on disassembly, i found the throwout bearing carrier had completely rusted away, the clutch itself had about 1/2 of the clutch material left ... since i had already bought the kit, i replaced all the clutch componets but all i really needed was a new throwout bearing

#35 ·
my 03/12 all4 manual will be 2 years old on 3/31 and will have ~16,000 miles ... no clutch problems ... in fact zero problems of any kind

i drive it hard, except i do not do drag race starts, my starting technique is minimal gas until the clutch is fully engaged (pedal out, left foot on or headed to, the dead-pedal) then floor the gas, always rev-match downshifts, never "speed shift" ie partial clutch upshifting with wide open throttle, ... have never stalled, never smelled the clutch, never experienced any slippage

also, another point ... my dealer has yet to have anyone complain of a clutch problem on a CM and have not replaced any CM clutches ... they have sold a lot of CMs, but most are autos, maybe 5%-10% are manuals, but still, not one failure

On the first point, I don't need a driving lesson, thanks. If I drove my CM as you suggest, it stalls. I have the pleasure of using a JCW for "drag race starts" (if I still did them at age 56, not 26. Age brings wisdom -and tyres, transmissions and bad driving all cost money and are bad for communities)

On the point of "not one failure", have you actually seen the lead story on this thread? (wherein MINI USA admit a problem. I assume on the basis most USA cars will be automatic, so they cut their losses)

I say it again, MINI/BMW do have a problem, but choose to deal with it in their oh so superior way by disrespecting the customer, forgetting of course that, without the customer, they don't have a business. Utter cocks......

#26 · (Edited)
Seriously? Google: "Mini Countryman clutch". Journalists globally reported an issue and Mini revised the clutch from MY13 onwards.

They should have actioned a recall.

I have driven manual my whole life and don't drive my car hard, at all! In fact, brakes and tyres are still original. Go figure!

My issues to date:

1. Water ingress under carpet. Completely stripped interior and new carpet fitted. Well documented by others having the same problem in this forum. Press down on the rear footwells and see if its wet.
2. Water pump/coolant failures. Whole engine bay splashed with coolant after it exploded. Has been a recall.
3. Drivetrain, valvetronic failure. Oil not getting to solanoids. Car was paralysed in the middle of traffic on a highway.
4. Clutch. Only drive point A to B on highway with minimal gear changes.
5. Countless rattles throughout ownership.

All this and more, but its been serviced by a factory owned dealership the whole time.

Good luck with your vehicles. Don't say I told you so.

#27 ·
Seriously? Google: "Mini Countryman clutch". Journalists globally reported an issue and Mini revised the clutch from MY13 onwards.

They should have actioned a recall.

I have driven manual my whole life and don't drive my car hard, at all! In fact, brakes and tyres are still original. Go figure!

i drive the **** out of mine, tires 1/2 gone at 7,000 miles and replaced with michelin pilot super sports, will need brakes by 16-17 k-miles, front and rear

My issues to date:

1. Water ingress under carpet. Completely stripped interior and new carpet fitted. Well documented by others having the same problem in this forum. Press down on the rear footwells and see if its wet.
nope
2. Water pump/coolant failures. Whole engine bay splashed with coolant after it exploded. Has been a recall.
nope
3. Drivetrain, valvetronic failure. Oil not getting to solanoids. Car was paralysed in the middle of traffic on a highway. Lost power at 110km/h.
nope
4. Clutch. Only drive point A to B on highway with minimal gear changes.
no problem with mine, 65% rural driving, lots of gear changes
5. Countless rattles throughout ownership.
no rattles

this is far and away the best car i have ever owned

All this and more, but its been serviced by a factory owned dealership the whole time.

Good luck with your vehicles. Don't say I told you so.
may you have better luck with your prius

#30 ·
do you have winter tires? i do, my first ever set of winters .... no going back to all-seasons in the winter! the all4 + winter tires is fantasic!

#37 ·
Kevin, this is getting rather tedious......If an alleged operator issue is not the point, why mention it? I think there is some inference that clutch failures have been caused by "holding the car on the bite" aka the lazy bad driver's way of not using the handbrake and doing a proper hill start. My problem came from proper hill starts, over about 1/2 an hour in standing traffic.

Just for the record, my initial post was BEFORE my dealer pushed for a warranty repair. Once they did, I posted to say this AND to praise them. You must have missed that post, though it followed my first one.

No apology necessary, I'm about as tired of this post as I am of MINI/BMW being dishonest with customers. There IS a problem with the clutch/flywheel/rev riser on some CM S ALL4s (of which mine is one), the sooner it is admitted, properly recalled and put the right, the better. Like that's going to happen.....

If the car is perfect and it is me, then it must still have a good PX value against one with a rev riser and latest clutch or an auto

#41 ·
That's why it's an 'Assistant' and not a 'hill start hold your car because you won't use the handbrake' system. Hill starts mean handbrake on until the bite point. The assistant is only there to help if you mistimed the bite.

Personally I don't operate the car with it (or never notice it working) as I always use the handbrake. Why? Because as I was taught as a police driver that new brakes are a lot cheaper than new clutches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.