Good thing about Countryman ? - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Countryman

MINI Countryman MINI Countryman 2010 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good bye MINI, Good riddance Countryman Countryman Jon MINI Countryman 19 Oct 20th, 2013 08:50 PM
Countryman a good fit for me? f00bar MINI Countryman 5 Mar 22nd, 2013 10:49 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 10:38 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:48 PM
United States
Smile Good thing about Countryman ?

Hello all. I'm new here and am thinking about buying my first Mini. I like the Countryman for the 4 doors and size, so thats the model I'm currently thinking about purchasing. I have a test drive scheduled for Saturday.

What concerns me is that in reading through this forum, there seems to be a ton of people complaining about a number of issues including MPG, reliability, rough ride, etc. Are these just the outliers or is the Countryman really a bad choice?

The cost of the Countryman S is pushing my budget to the limit and I don't want to buy something and immediately regret my decision.

Any satisfied Countryman owners out there?

Thanks,

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 10:59 PM
bmwr606

Local Time: 08:48 PM
United States
United-States

i have had my 2012 all4 since march 2012, best car i have owned.

zero problems, including no problems with the clutch.

avg usa mpg since new = 28.8, lowest mpg under 12, but had lots of fun, highest 41.9 @ 55 mph (411 miles and 9.8 gall0ns of fuel).

scott

2012 CM S All4 (03/12) | Abs Black w/White Roof/Mirrors/18" White Wheels | Cold Pkg | Sport Pkg | Xenon w/ Black Housings| Manual | Sport Susp| Anth Headliner | Flat Load Floor | Bluetooth | 2 Part Center Rail | Milltek downpipe back exhaust
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 11:33 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:48 AM
United Kingdom Male
More Countryman owners and reviews here which may help:

UK
MINI Countryman - totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum

USA:
MINI Countryman - North American Motoring
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 05:56 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:48 AM
China
Quote: Originally Posted by talasyn (original)
Hello all. I'm new here and am thinking about buying my first Mini. I like the Countryman for the 4 doors and size, so thats the model I'm currently thinking about purchasing. I have a test drive scheduled for Saturday.

What concerns me is that in reading through this forum, there seems to be a ton of people complaining about a number of issues including MPG, reliability, rough ride, etc. Are these just the outliers or is the Countryman really a bad choice?

The cost of the Countryman S is pushing my budget to the limit and I don't want to buy something and immediately regret my decision.

Any satisfied Countryman owners out there?

Yes!

I have an ALL4 with the low-output 1.6L turbo (not the S) and automatic transmission, the MPG after one month of ownership is 25 MPG(US). That may not sound too great but the traffic here is really bad and there's a lot of stop-and-go driving - for comparison it actually matches that of the Fiesta that we had previously, which is impressive given the much heavier weight of the Countryman and AWD.

As for reliability, it's still early to make a judgement but from what I can tell they've sorted out most of the previous issues in the '13 and newer.

Yes the ride is firm and can get a bit rough on bad roads, but I'd gladly take this given the sports sedan-like handling. If ride quality is a priority for you then get one with the regular suspension and use regular tires when it's time to replace the run flats. FWIW, from what I've ready the Countryman has the best ride of all the Minis.

The other thing you should pay attention to on your test drive is the engine and road noise. IMHO it's not overbearingly noisy (in fact it is quieter than the Fiesta at highway speeds) but given the price you might have higher expectations.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 01:45 AM
MINIgurll

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Canada View freber's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
I have a 2011 ALL4 and LOVE it. No problems at all, good in city driving gas mileage, she's a beauty. I panicked after buying mine when I saw all the poor reviews, ESP for the 2011 model year, but either I'm lucky or a lot of happy owners aren't bragging about their cars.

If I had to nitpick, I'm not crazy about the turn signals (the no discernable click on/off has meant accidentally turning the opposite signal light on when trying to shut off the other), the radio is determined to reset to a particularly bad hip hop station when it's supposed to 'remember' what station it was on from the key, the paint has chipped a bit more than my 05MCS did in 6 years of ownership, once in a while I have to dig the keys out of my purse bc the keyless entry decides to ignore me. But minor stuff all in all...

Good luck!
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 03:56 AM
MINI2 Regular

Canada Male
I have a 2011 non-S auto Countryman and absolutely love it. No problems to date and its been very reliable. Part of the issue may be in how you spec it. For me, Xenons, heated seats, flat load floor, comfort access & cold weather package are musts. I do use the Pirelli run-flats for summer tires and Michelin Xice non run-flats on BMW 330 rims for winter tires. The Michelins do provide a bit smoother ride.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 08:49 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Norway
My advise would be to wait for the new 5 door, it'll be out in a few months. Look the Countryman isn't a bad car, it's just not very good at being a MINI, it's a crap MINI in fact, it's suspension is rock hard, to give it that MINI gokart feel, the run flat tyres just make it worse, the build quality of the interior does not match it's premium price, if I knew then what i know now I would have traded my Clubman in on another Clubman, the Clubman is a great MINI.

Of course you could just make the sensible choice and buy a Golf GTi, it's cheaper, faster, handles better, has a much better ride, and gets significantly better MPG. Resale is also better.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 12:02 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Canada Male
I like mine

I traded a clubman for a Countryman all4 s. The Clubman was awesome. I drove it for four years and other than a flat i never has a problem with it. The Countryman is even better! The only down side i have found is i burn a little more fuel but living here in the frozen north i really like the all wheel drive.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 05:14 PM
MINI2 Regular

Canada Male
Quote: Originally Posted by KiwiRob (original)
My advise would be to wait for the new 5 door, it'll be out in a few months. Look the Countryman isn't a bad car, it's just not very good at being a MINI, it's a crap MINI in fact, it's suspension is rock hard, to give it that MINI gokart feel, the run flat tyres just make it worse, the build quality of the interior does not match it's premium price, if I knew then what i know now I would have traded my Clubman in on another Clubman, the Clubman is a great MINI.

Of course you could just make the sensible choice and buy a Golf GTi, it's cheaper, faster, handles better, has a much better ride, and gets significantly better MPG. Resale is also better.

Get used to KiwiRob.... he's a negative individual over on the NAM forums too...
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 07:26 PM
MINI2 Regular

Norway
Quote: Originally Posted by mikeyt (original)
Get used to KiwiRob.... he's a negative individual over on the NAM forums too...

You don't like it because someones dissing what you drive, get used to it, it doesn't make my opinion any less true or valid!
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 12:46 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Canada Male
You don't like it because someones dissing what you drive, get used to it, it doesn't make my opinion any less true or valid!

Dude, you drive a Yugo!
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 01:09 AM
bmwr606

Local Time: 08:48 PM
United States
Quote: Originally Posted by kevin1492 (original)
Dude, you drive a Yugo!

Kevin, don't be dissing the yugos like that!

2012 CM S All4 (03/12) | Abs Black w/White Roof/Mirrors/18" White Wheels | Cold Pkg | Sport Pkg | Xenon w/ Black Housings| Manual | Sport Susp| Anth Headliner | Flat Load Floor | Bluetooth | 2 Part Center Rail | Milltek downpipe back exhaust
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 02:03 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Canada Male
Quote: Originally Posted by bmwr606 (original)
Kevin, don't be dissing the yugos like that!

Sorry, hope I did not offend anyone on the Yugo Owners Forum.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM
MINI2 Regular

Norway
Quote: Originally Posted by kevin1492 (original)
Dude, you drive a Yugo!

With a Yugo you get what you pay for, with a CM you pay a premium and get Yugo like interior quality. If you really believe the interior matches the price then you're probably the kind of person who thinks McDonalds is fine dining.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 08:39 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Canada Male
With a Yugo you get what you pay for, with a CM you pay a premium and get Yugo like interior quality. If you really believe the interior matches the price then you're probably the kind of person who thinks McDonalds is fine dining.

If I was the type of person that thinks McDonalds is find dining it would not bother me because I am not is easily influenced and definitely not by you. I am not looking to impress anyone or for their approval. I feel good about my self I do not need to name drop like you. What ever gave you the idea that anyone cares what you think or wants your approval. People on this site work hard for there money, they buy something nice and then have someone like you try and convince them that there is a problem with it. That is the difference between you and me Rob, I'm happy for them and you are what you are. You picking apart their/our cars just makes you out to be small and insignificant. It makes you opinions a joke. Go get some help, if you get past your issues, work a little harder and you will have a lot happier life.
Thanks for this post from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement