MINI Cooper Forum banner

Dashcam causes radio interference

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  rjb2014 
#1 ·
Have any members found a dash cam that doesn't cause radio interference on the Mini. I've tried 3 models in her ladyships 2013 Countryman , including the award winning Transcend 200 and they all have the same effect of reducing the radio signal strength such that in built up areas it crackles, goes quiet etc. Its not constant but just enough to get on your nerves. There's plenty of internet evidence that dash cams can cause interference but just wondered if anybody had found one that likes the Mini.

#7 ·
I've used a USB to Micro USB ext cable from the cigar lighter, I put a ferrite core on it too. I'm currently trialling the Ambrella 803 mini which was okay when I powered it with the stock cigar lighter cable but directly rather than around the screen so maybe it's the screen routing which causes the problem, I need to run some more trials. I've got that many dash cams now I should open a shop FFS! The daughters R52 Mini is fine with the windscreen cable routing and an 803 but her ladyships R60 is having none of it, I'll get one that works in the R60 if it kills me! Thank you to those who replied.

#8 ·
I've got a Blackvue DR400G (one v1 and v2) mounted on both the front and rear screens of my 2011 MCS without issue - the cable for the front runs around the windscreen edge and plugs into the cigarette lighter. Any dashcam really shouldn't be affecting radio reception (ie it shouldn't be producing interference at RF frequencies) unless it's a really poor electronic design. I know the trancsend has wifi capabilities - can you turn the wifi option off and see if that makes a difference?

Rob.

#9 ·
cheers Rob, interesting your windscreen routing doesn't cause any issues, it's probably down to the quality of the cam components as you say as the 803 and the wedge I've tried are both fifty quid chinese options but they do produce a good image though. I was surprised that the Transcend still caused a problem as it's a popular choice, I did leave the wifi off as it's a gimmick really. At least I know that the Blackvue option should be trouble free and certainly worth the extra money if it pleases her ladyship!

#10 ·
Hmmm. OK, not wifi then...
Is the interference on FM or DAB?
Could you try a different power supply adapter (will one off one of your other units fir the Transcend?) and see if that makes a difference?

Interestilngly enough, the wife recently ordered a Transcend DP220 for her new car (not a Mini) so I'll have to see if I notice anything when that's fitted.

Blackvues are good - I like them because they don't have a screen so have a much smaller footprint but means if you want to look at the footage you have to mess about and remove the uSD card, plus as you will have seen, they are v.pricey.

#11 ·
I'm using a double usb plug into the cigar lighter as it's less bulky and still retains the option of a vacant USB slot for phone charging etc.
On the Wedgecam it didn't matter whether the USB power lead was around the windscreen or direct via original trailing cigar lighter power lead it would still interfere.
On the 803 mini it was fine when using the original power lead as a trailing lead up the screen direct from the cigar lighter (as a trial) I took it from this that the 803 was going to be fine and ordered another one (borrowed this one from daughters R52) but now I've got one for the R60 it causes interference, I've done the USB cable route around the screen which in fairness was something I hadn't tested the 803 against before.
I'm going to try it again with the original plug lead direct up the screen for a trial, if that works then I'll run the same original lead neatly around the screen and hope it's still okay, that would then prove that the standard power lead as supplied has better suppression but would leave me with a bulky plug in the cigar lighter, I suppose I'd just have to hard wire it. There's a bit more work to do yet before I move onto the BlackVue range of products and further grow my collection of cams, the cam stock was such that I stuck a Wedge cam in the back of my Land Rover, glad I did now as it's great to capture what's happening behind in the build up to what happens in front afterwards. ( I'm a sucker for a gadget)

#12 ·
The cause when using the 803 mini turned out to be me using an extended USB power lead rather than the bulky supplied power adaptor. The Wedgecam still gave interference no matter what so that'll be the cam thats causing the interference rather than the power cable. The wedge cam causes crackle on my other car so I'm using the excuse to treat myself to a BlackVue dash cam. Wifey's happy, I'm happy, job done!

#13 ·
Glad you've got it sorted.

The 12V to USB adapters and leads (ebay specials!), although convienient are usually low quality (pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap), hence why I asked if you could try another adapter.

Anyway, enjoy the blackvue when it arrives!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.