MINI Cooper Forum banner

Timing chain and tensioner in Countryman

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bobsteakettle 
#1 ·
Hi there, just purchased a 2011 Countryman Cooper S and so far everything seems to be ok. This vehicle was purchased as a certified pre owned from a mini dealer with the Mini Next program. I have been reading on forums and websites that there may problems with the timing chain and tensioner. I read articles about the "death rattle" but not sure if applies to my vehicle. I checked with Mini Canada prior to purchasing the vehicle and there were no recalls with respect to the timing chain and tensioner and the previous owner had maintained the vehicle according to schedule. I also the vehicle inspected prior to purchasing and no concerns. Is there anything to worry about? What mileage does this usually occur at? I plan on doing more frequent oil changes and an engine oil change. Currently my vehicle has 64,700km on it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I want to enjoy the car for sure. I love the way it looks and drives especially in sports mode! I am just a little worried. I haven't had the best experience purchasing this car as you can tell from my other posts but all the problems appear to be fixed. Heat is working, chrome replaced, windows working. I take it by maintenance you mean do more frequent oil changes and definitely do the transmission oil now as opposed to waiting until it hits 100,000 km which I hope helps with the timing chain and tensioner? I also know that I am due for a brake fluid flush soon. Are there any other fluids or servicing that should be done as more preventative as opposed to schedule maintenance? Just want to make sure I have everything covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.