MINI Cooper Forum banner

2012 Start up problem

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CCroker 
#1 ·
I got into my Countryman the other day and had nothing happen when I inserted the key. After several attempts it finally started. Prior to that the console lights stayed off. I drove the rest of the day with no issues.
The next day I drove all day and had no problems until that night. Same as before, I had to pop the key in and out several times to get the car's console lights to come on so I could start the car.
The following morning, I inserted the key. Same problem. Except it never came on. The battery is showing as fully charged. The interior lights come on. The doors lock and unlock with the remote. The radio plays. And continues to play with the key removed and the door opened. But when I insert the key it is like I don't have it inserted at all.
Any ideas?

#4 ·
It turned out to be the key. I called the dealership and spoke to someone in the service department. He said it could be as simple as the key, but the only way to know for sure would be to bring it in and have it tested. I was able to bring it, and when they placed the key into the scanner it didn't even register. The battery had completely died. They placed it in another MINI on the lot and it didn't even register as being an incorrect key. They were able to order me a new key for my car from my VIN.
Quick follow up-- the lead technician listened to my story and told me it sounded like my car's security system had shut everything down when the key went bad/dead. He told me when I got home to use the metal key inside the fob to open the door. And since the fob still unlocked everything to try the key after I'd done it. I got home from the dealership well after dark. Used the metal key to unlock the door. The interior lights came on and everything powered up. Apparently using the metal key resets the security system. I popped my key back into the fob, inserted it into the ignition and fired up the engine for the first time in three days. It's been running perfectly ever since.
I did order the new key. I'm not going to risk having this key die on my again. But I am taking this one with me to the dealership when my new key arrives to have it checked and see if the reset restored it as well.

#6 ·
You do have to drive them to keep it charged. My wife and I rotate keys once a week, as the Countryman is hers, that way my key remains charged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.