MINI Cooper Forum banner

Ch4 Hollyoaks Train Crash...... (with a Mini)

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 ·
Probably not too many avid viewers of 'Hollyoaks' here on Mini2 forum........but destroying the Mini Sprite involved did make the pages of Classic Car Weekly.

Half a ton of Mini derailing around 60 tons of locomotive.......?!
Hollyoaks:Train Crash

Apparently 4 Mini's were used for the scenes, the smashed one has been scrapped, 1 sold on ebay, 1 still for sale (see link below) and 1 is said to be a project.....
1996 ROVER MINI SPRITE RED £2350
1996 ROVER MINI SPRITE RED | eBay

See less See more
1 4
#2 ·
If you look into the background after the crash the MINI is in a lot better shape than the loco and it didnt even move, almost looks as if it could be driven off still?
Shows a MINI is the car to be in if your hit by an express train. ;)

I would think its staged using a hydraulic ram or something under the loco to eject it off the rails, no way would it do that, the MINI would have been flattened Im sure?

#3 ·
I did watch it on TV as my daughter watches it, and it was the worst crash imaginable, the editing was atrocious, one minute the Mini was being shoved up the tracks, then it was intact and caused the engine to derail.

And to think my 1971 Clubbie disintegrated when it was hit by a Polo !!!!!

#4 ·
A friend who is a train anorak has since told me this was in one of his train mags and said:-

"The loco is a preserved class 14 diesel hydraulic "teddy bear" and the one in the crash lying on it's side is a wooden mockup that took 2 weeks to make! all for probably less than 30 sec of film!
But just how a short trip shunting slow speed freight engine could flip over after hitting a postage stamp size piece tin laying across the tracks is beyond me but thats soaps I suppose!"

#5 ·
Of course the other thing too here, theres appears to be no level crossing so who would be even able to get a mini into that situation to start with?
With all the effort that must go into the set up you would have thought they would at least make it seem as if it was a real life situation wouldnt you, rather than a magic trick?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.