3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #106 of 111 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Costa Rica

It's been a tough month trying to prepare the Mini and find the backing. I don't get it with some companies, they string me along and then after about 3 months say they don't have the budget, then come back again to say they might have the budget! What can I do but just go with the flow.

Eminiparts.com have helped with these items to help towards gaining funds via a raffle at the end of the year. To be fair I need at least 100 donations at $5

Easy listening – no cables, nothing to plug in, nothing to install. Simply put your smartphone on top of the speaker and immediately start listening. The connection and audio transmission are established via induction. Tablets can be operated via the twin pin plug supplied. Ideal for indoor and outdoor use. Battery life 4 to 5 hours, recharged via Mini USB connection. Can also be operated using 3 AA batteries (not included). Black with red bonnet stripes. Dimensions: 4¾" x 2?" x 1?". Imported.

MSRP$46.00

Heavy-duty backpack features double-lined entry pack, fleece-lined audio pocket with headphone exit port, and side mesh water bottle pockets. Integrated shoulder harness with neoprene grip handle and dual-side compression straps. Padded laptop sleeve fits most 15” laptops. Dimensions: 19”x12”x10”. Polyester. Imported.

MSRP$75.00

16 GB USB stick in the shape of the MINI car key, with red LED light ring. Black MINI lanyard included. Imported.

MSRP $46.00

Protect your Apple® iPad® safe from scratches, weather and other damage when you're on the go. Reversible. Neoprene.

MSRP$9.00

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 111 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Costa Rica

One thing you may have noticed with rally builds is we get creative and budget is always an issue. Faced with having to take off the clutch pipe, take it to hydraulic pipe shop, paying, waiting and losing more time.

I decided to look in my boxes of stuff collected over the past 40 years, there's stuff in there from Alfa's, Ford, Fiat, MG, Peugeot, Range Rover , Suzuki etc. So I found a Alfa Milano brake pipe nipple(I used to cut up Milano's and sell the parts on Ebay to fund my CA rallying), Suzuki Swift brake line and a bolt for some caliper. I bought this handy little brake pipe flaring tool in the 70's, so I drilled out the brake nipple to 1/4" then cut the clutch pipe close to the brake booster, flared the pipe and connected that to the brake line. Then I took apart the Mini slave cylinder pipe and found the inside was just enough to tap a thread for the banjo bolt. I took the parts to work and the guys turned down the fitting and tapped it in a few minutes. Back at with the Mini I bolted everything together, bled the clutch and bingo the clutch now disengages!

post #108 of 111 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Costa Rica

well chaps, I got the clutch back to the US and compared it against the old original plate and yeap its about 2mm thicker. So I send it back to the supplier for a rebuild. Hopefully the next visit should see the clutch working.

post #109 of 111 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Costa Rica

words fail me for the dumb donkey at the clutch shop. not only did he not check the clutch correctly the first time around, now he left my clutch until the last minute and missed the shipping deadline, meaning I go down to CR without the clutch! what a ****! I told him like 10 times to have it ready for Saturday. I should have bought the SPEC clutch off Ebay . Well that's the last time I use this ****! on the bright side I have more bag space to bring beers!
post #110 of 111 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally370 View Post
words fail me for the dumb donkey at the clutch shop. not only did he not check the clutch correctly the first time around, now he left my clutch until the last minute and missed the shipping deadline, meaning I go down to CR without the clutch! what a ****! I told him like 10 times to have it ready for Saturday. I should have bought the SPEC clutch off Ebay . Well that's the last time I use this ****! on the bright side I have more bag space to bring beers!

what an utter gasbag

at least the car looks good and you have more space for beers

post #111 of 111 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Costa Rica

Today the Mini is back on the streets of Costa Rica! I went to have the wheels aligned this morning because I fitted the Onasled Racing extended pick ups on the rear. The suspension feels really nice now. The Mini is rally ready apart from the Lifeline fire extinguisher pull cable rusted away ($24 for a new one so no big deal) and I'm waiting for the roll cage certificate. The FIA hand held extinguisher is fitted plus a bunch of other upgrades so I'm 99% there. The frustration of the past 5 months are a distant memory!
nanotech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.