MINI Cooper Forum banner

R50 Vs R53 Vs R56

11K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  annemoody 
#1 ·
Just starting out looking to do a few track events in the UK,

After toying with the options i'm now pretty sure a Mini is the one for me, However deciding which one is much more difficult!

I have never heard great things about the transmissions on the R56's with clutch failures and gear box issues being the main problem!? is this true?
However never heard great things about the R50/R53's with BMW having some teething issues when they started out!?

Can any of you offer any help in pointing me in the right direction?

Mainly looking to get either a R50 Cooper or R56 Cooper S / JCW, Which would be the best to start my dive into MINI's!?

Your help is most wanted Thanks!

#3 ·
R53 all day long. And get a 'facelift'. Some of the early issues found on pre-facelifts were sorted. The Getrag MT285 6 Speed box is rock solid. R56s tend to eat oil. Clutches on any of them can be an issue. They are the dreaded Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) type. Car makers put them on all diesels (reduce low rev vibration), but on a performance petrol? Pathetic. Feel and power delivery of R53 is much better than an R56.

#7 ·
Hi,

New here.
I am in the same boat. Glad I found this thread.
Undecided between R53 and R56 for track use. (racing).
My intentions are full carbon panels (hood, doors and hatch), lexan windows, suspension, brakes and engine mods (close to 300hp).
I have been told that R53 should be '05 and ´06 model years and R56 should be later years also.
Would like to hear your opinions on such a build.
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.