2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop Revealed - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > All Models & Variants > MINI News

MINI News News announcements related to the Mini are posted here

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:17 AM
2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop Revealed

Quote:
MINI has revealed its next-generation Cooper Hardtop model ahead of its official debut at the 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show this week, adding size but getting noticeably more mini under the hood.

While it may look mostly the same, the 2015 MINI Cooper sees significant enhancements including the introduction of two newly-developed powerplants featuring MINI TwinPower Turbo Technology, the same technology found in various BMW engines. New for 2015 is a three-cylinder engine with 134 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque while the four-cylinder found in the MINI Cooper S will have 189 hp and 207 lb-ft of torque. Torque can also briefly be increased to 221 lb-ft of torque.

Both powerplants will be available with either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. Though no official fuel figures were announced, itís a safe assumption that the 2015 MINI Cooper will see a reduction in fuel consumption thanks to its new engine offerings, weight loss and enhanced aerodynamic properties.

SEE ALSO: 2013 LA Auto Show Coverage

As for the body, the 2015 MINI Cooper is less mini than ever with an overall length that has grown 4.5 inches, allowing the interior to more comfortably seat four Ė something the old car was never particularly good at. Itís also 1.7-inches wider and 0.3 inches taller. Thereís more cargo room as well, with three extra cubic feet of trunk space for a total of 8.7.

Already an amazing handling package, wider front and rear tracks should help keep the MINI even more stable at speed, with the front track widened by 1.7 inches and the rear by 1.3 inches.

The longer wheelbase should help soften the carís notoriously harsh ride quality, aided by a Dynamic Damper Control system in the Cooper S model. While past models came with an optional sport mode to tighten the carís driving responses, all new models will get the MINI Driving Modes (MID) system that will adjust throttle and steering response as well as the engine sound. On Cooper S models the MINI Driving Modes will also include the dynamic suspension system and automatic transmission shift points. Three settings will be available, with an eco GREEN mode, a standard MID mode and an engaging GREEN mode.

2014-MINI-cooper-interior-04.jpg

Exterior design might not have changed all that much but the cabin of the 2015 MINI Cooper includes one significant departure from traditional MINI styling, namely the elimination of the central novelty-sized tachometer. The large circular space remains, but instead itís filled with a digital display screen that can be sized up to 8.8-inches. The speedometer and tachometer are instead located, where they should be, directly in front of the driver.

Another departure from traditional MINI styling is the decision to move the power window controls from the center stack to the more natural location on the doors. In addition, a new keyless access system no longer requires the key fob to be inserted in the dash; rather it just has to be in the car with a new ignition switch taking the form of a red toggle switch.

To further convey vehicle info is an available Head-Up Display, while other unique features for 2015 include optional extras like camera-based active cruise control, high beam assist, a rearview camera as well as collision and pedestrian warning.

The 2014 MINI Cooper and Cooper S hardtop will go on sale this coming March with pricing announced closer to launch.

See more 2014 MINI Cooper photos at AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 18th, 2013, 08:39 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:17 AM
United States View mike's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Sadly I must conclude that the writer of the article has never been in a MINI. The writers claim that MINI has made a departure from the past by "elimination of the central novelty-sized tachometer" has me shaking my head. Tachometer. Really? If the writer is going to make a point, get the facts straight. What else is incorrect? I, for one, like my centrally located, novelty-sized speedometer.
Mike

Semper Fi 2011 Countryman All4, delivered 9 Dec 11
02 MCS, delivered 17 May 02
73 Mini 1275, 68 BMC MINI tractor
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 07:08 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Canada Male
+1
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Astronaut

Local Time: 10:17 PM
United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by mike (original)
Sadly I must conclude that the writer of the article has never been in a MINI. The writers claim that MINI has made a departure from the past by "elimination of the central novelty-sized tachometer" has me shaking my head. Tachometer. Really? If the writer is going to make a point, get the facts straight. What else is incorrect? I, for one, like my centrally located, novelty-sized speedometer.
Mike

Maybe he's Australian. Australian MINI's had a central tachometer instead of a speedo, due to some regulation.

But probably just ignorance on part of the author. Sad to see this awesome feature gone! It certainly wasn't novelty.

Donít do bad things, only do good things.

Last edited by Red Cooper; Nov 21st, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
You are number 6
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Clarke

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Australia Male View Mike Clarke's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by Red Cooper (original)
Maybe he's Australian. Australian MINI's had a central tachometer instead of a speedo, due to the rule that country.

But probably just ignorance on part of the author. Sad to see this awesome feature gone! It certainly wasn't novelty.

Certainly the R50/R53 had a central tachometer as ADRs required the speedometer to be in front of the driver. All changed for the R56 so maybe the writer of the article has missed the R56.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Netherlands
Ugly, ugly car
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 05:23 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:17 PM
looks like a watered down MINI design
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 10:12 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United States Male
That looks awesome. Mini's have always intrigued me. Though not many upgrades on this but still looks great.

Old Jan 25th, 2014, 10:51 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:17 PM
United States
Fire Hazard

Beware of that novelty-sized speedometer. Mine reflected the sun and caught me on fire. Too new here to post links but "Mini Cooper Catches me on fire and you won't believe what CAUSES IT!!!" is posted on youtube.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 05:09 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 06:17 AM
United Kingdom
Luckily yours is a 2009 MCS not a new F56, maybe the fixed your bizarre fire problem. Never heard of it before, apart from the previous recall issue to do with turbo water pump.

Anyway, back onto the F56, I'm still unsure of it waiting for the JCW stats to see if that helps lift the looks of it.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:58 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Ireland Female
Ireland

Anyone actually seen the f56 in the flesh yet ? Looking to trade up from my 09 cooper, was looking at a 2013 model during the week ...a really nice car but I am sorry to see the centre speedo gone, and all the YouTube video are top spec cars .... It will be interesting to see what a basic cooper has as standard kit on the f56.... Do I wait a month or so and see what the f56 has to offer or just go for the 2013 mini ..... What would you all do .... It's a nice dilemma I know ..
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:09 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England Male
Quote: Originally Posted by ms Alice (original)
Anyone actually seen the f56 in the flesh yet ? Looking to trade up from my 09 cooper, was looking at a 2013 model during the week ...a really nice car but I am sorry to see the centre speedo gone, and all the YouTube video are top spec cars .... It will be interesting to see what a basic cooper has as standard kit on the f56.... Do I wait a month or so and see what the f56 has to offer or just go for the 2013 mini ..... What would you all do .... It's a nice dilemma I know ..

I would wait and go for the new f56 IMO it is a lot better equipped and the fit and finish look superior to the outgoing model - albeit from looking at images on line only at this stage.

The launch date is mid march for the f56 so only 4/5 weeks to wait to see it for real
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 03:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Australia
Not liking that the front end looks taller than previous gens...looks less sporty now. Still a Mini overall in looks but just not as aggressive or sporty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement