MINI Cooper Forum banner

2016 MINI Cooper S Clubman vs Volkswagen Golf GTI

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  minione2002 
#1 ·

There’s a lot that $35,000 can buy.

This is especially true in the world of automobiles. That sum can get a great family hauler, a fun sportscar or an entry-level luxury car. But what about those who want a bit of everything?

Enter the premium performance hatchback. These are cars like the 2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI and 2016 MINI Cooper S Clubman. They combine performance with practicality in a premium package. Surprisingly similar in some aspects, yet still completely different in others, these two Europeanhatches take different approaches to achieve a common goal.

The GTI has been around longer than most of you reading this article. Heck, it even pre-dates your humble author by quite a few years. Many consider it the grand daddy of the hot hatchbacks and even if it has grown up over the years and become more sophisticated than rambunctious, it’s still a lot of fun to drive.

Read more about the 2016 MINI Cooper S Clubman vs Volkswagen Golf GTI at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
1 1
#6 ·
Personally, I'm not a fan of either of the latest versions of each marque. That being said, there was comment on a car restoration TV show about how the Mini (classic & Gen1) had a smiling face that was a psychological factor that attracted people to it. The latest Mini to me looks like a prize fighter with a black mouthguard and a glazed look on its face from a smack to the head. Yes the headlights are reminiscent of a Mini and the grill surround is reminiscent of the Rover version of the classic but I fear that the classic and more modern retro look is fast disappearing to appease a larger market. Imagine if one could, a 5 door MGB or Miata.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.