MINI Cooper Forum banner

My Supercharged Mini R53!

14K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Thewhingnut 
#1 ·
Hey all!

Haven't updated this forum in a while, been doing a fair bit of mods, and I currently have 450CC injectors and a custom RMW Tune on it's way from the states, so that should be pretty exciting!

Have recently 'blacked out' a lot of the white & chrome highlights on the car (Mirror Caps, Fuel Cap, Headlight Surround, Lower Grille, Bonnet Scoop, and even blacked out the polished wheel lip)

Also installed a universal DIY rubber lip to the front & rear bumper: $60 total + 60 mins of work = win :)

Also some new taillights to replace the previous chrome ones!

Did some detailing, restored all my exterior plastic trim with some 'Black Wow Trim Restorer' I bought off eBay, worked a charm!

And also got a chance to show the Mini off at a recent Melbourne car meet! The Mini got a fair bit of attention, considering it was rolling with the big boys.. (GTR's, STI's, EVO's, GTI's, HSV's, etc)

See less See more
#6 ·
Did some modding to kick off the long weekend! :)

Decided it was time to say farewell to the yellow calipers..

To welcome..

And did my lug bolts while I was at it!

And now she sits like this

And MORE exciting news!

The Injectors, Tune & Belt have arrived from the States!

Will be getting my current tune sent off to Jan from RMW who will be sending me back a custom tune to turn my Mini into more of a small-but-mighty machine :D

Will keep this thread posted!

Have a good weekend all :)

#9 ·
Tune & Injectors are in!!!!

First the details, then the review! :)

Had my car dropped off to Elie from Rennsport Racing (Mini Enthusiast I met on an Aussie Mini forum) to do the work! While it was there, he replaced the stock injectors with RMW 450CC ones, flashed a custom RMW tune onto it, installed a new gates belt, filled it up with some new Amsoil 5W40 Synthetic oil + OEM oil filter, serviced my bypass valve, and cleaned: Throttle body, bypass valve, intake/intercooler horn & intake manifold :) He also spent a lot of time inspecting the engine, suspension, exhaust, pretty much the whole car!

In other words he did a crap load of work, and solved a lot of issues! :)

Can not recommend him highly enough for all the work he did! Went out of his way to do everything possible to make me happy!

Now to the good part.. how it feels..

Well, it's fast....... proper fast

Increase in power, increase in torque, awesome delivery, and very smooth throughout the entire rev range. Really noticeable difference, pulls incredibly hard now!! :D

Before the tune & injectors, the car hesitated a little bit, and felt like there was a lot of untapped power.... problem solved! :D

Definitely recommend the use of RMW's product for Mini's!!

So anyway, that was my weekend!

The car is a little weapon right now :D

Will take it to a dyno soon (hopefully find a dyno day being hosted in the area) and post up some numbers!!

Here's a photo of the flash tool & old injectors for reference

#12 ·
R56 is just easier to get to the potential as you don't need to replace anything mechanical to up the boost a bit (well, at least until the turbo is maxed).

And you can always fit a bigger supercharger if you need more boost :D

#18 ·
TYRE UPDATE!

After 6 months with these random Hifly branded tyres that came with my wheels.. the front 2 have finally gone bald! (Which is good in this case) :D

So today I replaced the front 2 with some Kumho KU36's.. and wow.. I can actually hold traction in 1st gear now!! Awesome difference, came to $185 per tyre!

Will swap the rears out soon when they go bald (I like utilising every last ounce of tread :p)

I changed my tyre size from 205/45/17 to 215/45/17 and I'm liking the difference! Looks a lot meatier and it killed some wheel gap too :)

Excuse the dirty wheels..

ALSO! Heading to the dyno this Saturday coming so will finally get some numbers!! Exciting stuff :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.