MINI Cooper Forum banner

Idiot tries to mess with Mini.

8K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Floppydonkey 
#1 · (Edited)
Basically a stupid driver overtakes on white hatchings even though the road turns into a dual carriageway. What annoyed me about it was that several pieces of debris hit my car, and after I reached my destination I found a nasty 1cm chip in the hood bonnet scoop...

http://youtu.be/0zw3wz5gLKk

#2 ·
It happens. Take your car out on the road and there is a risk that you are going to pick up a stone chip or a damaged windscreen .... fact of life! :(

What really surprises me though is that you post a video on YouTube of you driving dangerously :eek: .... unless of course you don't consider undertaking dangerous driving! :confused:

#4 ·
unless of course you don't consider undertaking dangerous driving! :confused:
Depends upon the circumstances.... it's not strictly speaking precluded in the Highway Code to pass a vehicle on the left - though, if you're passing a vehicle on the left above the speed limit you can't really argue that you were filtering past slower moving traffic :D

#3 ·
Yeah, it was unnecessary of the other driver to overtake so early but they were entitled to use the cross hatch area.

I can't see what happened behind fully from the video but, it looks like they had to use the area as you moved over to overtake the lorry - it's your responsibility to check your mirror before moving over even if you don't think the other driver should have been trying to overtake at that point.

Other drivers always do stuff we don't agree with or sometimes expect - all we can do is drive as safely as we can. No point worry about the bad stuff others do.

I can understand you being cross about the paint chip, but like I say, it looks like they were trying to pass before you pulled out and that may have forced them onto the cross hatched area.

#8 ·
I can't see what happened behind fully from the video but, it looks like they had to use the area as you moved over to overtake the lorry - it's your responsibility to check your mirror before moving over even if you don't think the other driver should have been trying to overtake at that point.
It's VERY clear that the OP didn't pull out without looking.

The OP was keeping to the very right of the lane as it widened into two lanes to begin the overtake once safe.
That alone should have made it clear to anyone that they were to begin overtaking as soon as possible - the idiot behind blatently ignored that and overtook across the hatched area :rolleyes:

#7 ·
You could take the guy to court mate he was in the chevron area and its strictly forbidden to drive in the chevron are unless its an emergency I have seen people pulled over by police for the same thing. If you have the guys registration you could take the guy to court. I know someone who did the same thing as they damaged the guys Porsche .

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#21 ·
As I've said before, you can't see anything other than what was happening right in front of your car - I was merely postulating what these might be and stating that there's always two sides to the story.

I've also never said that I think he should have over taken you - just that you probably could have taken evasive action. If you were accelerating to pass the lorry and for him to have still overtaken you, I find it hard to believe that there was nothing you could have done to avoid it - again, I'm not saying what he did was right. On the other hand, neither should you have gone chasing up the road after him.

Most of what I have said is in response to people saying daft things like they'd have sued him or taken legal advice for the other car leaving the scene of an accident etc when from the video, the full circumstances are not clear.

#24 ·
And you would be entitled to argue that.

Hey, I don't think they should have overtaken either (I've only said you can't see for sure what happened and that there may be mitigating circumstances) but neither should the OP have chased the Vauxhall down the road.

#26 ·
To quote the cops" when you are driving a high performance machine your skills and judgement should be of similar performance" so If I was driving said Mini my eyes would focused forward and rearwards. So at speed any other car coming up fast from behind would be duly noted requiring me to slow to let said car pass(cops) or speed up to avoid being blown off......which is the case here. You snooze, you loose!

#28 ·
the overtaker is an idiot and in my opinion should/could be prosecuted for dangerous driving.

the actions of the overtaker frustrated and angered the OP and that's why he went after him.

this scenario happens all too much on the roads nowadays and can lead to tragic conclusions.

I know it can be difficult, but better to remain calm and not seek revenge !!

Iain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.