MINI Cooper Forum banner

Cooper S Clicking noise when leaving clutch

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CCroker 
#1 ·
Greetings to all. ive recently purchased a R53 Cooper S. Car is in excellent condition . however, when Im changing from 2nd to 3rd gear and let go of the clutch after shifting, i hear a moderately loud 'clicking' noise from the front left-side of the vehicle. No matter the speed of which i leave the clutch, the sound is still there. the gear changes are good, but the sound worries me. has anyone had such a problem? or know what it might be? thanks.

#2 ·
Hi, have you ever resolved this or found out what it is?
I have an r56 non-s, and I can hear the sound when pressing the clutch too. A couple of clicks from the front left side of car. Everyhting works fine, but I still want to know what it is and whether I need to intervene.

#3 ·
Early Cooper Ss with the GreTrag tranny are known for this noise. It is the throwout bearing assembly rattling. If not a problem when shifting, ignore it. If it gets really loud and harder to shift then replace. But, this was a downside in the auto reviews when model was first produced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.