MINI Cooper Forum banner

Drivers door manual locking with key doesn't work

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  James burbidge 
#1 ·
Hiya. Can anyone offer advice on the drivers door lock. Car is a 2003 COoper S that we've had 1 month, but I foolishly didn't actually check that the keys operated in the drivers door lock to open/close it.
1 key is a remote which works all fine and dandy to remotely open,lock, start car in ignition barrel.
Other key is NOT a remote, just a MINI key and whilst goes into door lock and turns 90 clockwise or a reluctant 45 or so degrees anti-clockwise, will not actually unlock or lock the door. This key does work in the ignition fine though.
All doors, boot and petrol locks work fine with remote, but obviously IF we were to lose the remote key, then we wouldn't be able to access the car.
Replacement 'new' remote would be fine to buy (though expensive), BUT that's not resolving the problem, just ignoring it and hoping.
Battery power loss or similar would presumeabe render remote/s useless anyway and then I'm back to not being able to get in?
Seems to me on a courtesy 'new' MINI that I have currently, that putting the the key in the lock adn turning doesn't feel like a mechanical rod link (from feel only), but may be wrong, so......
a) a rod disconnected if it is mechanical between barrel perhaps?
b) an electrical sensor failure which recongnises barrel turning one way or another?
c) erm, I haven't got a c) am actually totally guessing now.

Have Mini Haynes Manual, but it doesn't tell me enough at all.
Anyone able to shed a light on some ideas to check out? Jose

See less See more
#3 ·
The outside door lock is conceded via a little metal rod if I remember. The rod is a star shape that go3s into a plastic slot almost where it connects to the locking mechanism the plastic star shape can wear.
I say this because I had mine out the other week and noticed it. But also the module may be at fault.
I'd definitely do what was said with wd40 and give it all a good look. Think I paid 40 pound for a used module.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.