Engine warning light & reduced engine power - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > Second Generation Faults & Fixes

Second Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes Late 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pls help re tyre pressure issue (+ warning light)... halesowenmum Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 8 Jan 25th, 2013 09:39 PM
Failed oil warning light may have cost me BIG TIME!!! olly-w First Generation Faults & Fixes 8 Dec 18th, 2012 01:46 PM
Engine light, reduced power & louder exhaust TomNeal Second Generation Faults & Fixes 4 Nov 28th, 2012 09:03 PM
1st Generation One engine warning light mrlines First Generation Faults & Fixes 4 Nov 17th, 2012 08:42 PM
Engine light when sat in traffic scottp7 Second Generation MINI Cooper S 2 Feb 22nd, 2012 03:04 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:35 AM
England Male
Took my car in on Thursday and it turned out to be the fuel pump causing the problem. Luckily they had one in stock, so fit it for me under warranty and gave me my car back.
I couldn't believe how fantastic it was to have it back to full power! What a flyer! I must've been down on power for ages, as i'd forgotten how quick the MCS is!
But...............here I am 3 days later, and its broken again.
Took it out today and could tell right away it wasnt right. As soon as I got some open road to use the revs I knew it was the same problem again.

So furious, but I really love the car when its working properly. Plus there isnt alot else out there for the same money that offers the same thrills, so maybe i'l have to continue the love hate relationship I have with Mini until I can afford something to replace it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM
MINI2 Newbie

England Male
Thought i'd update this thread incase anyone suffers from something similar to me.

Anyway, took my mini back in yesterday to be looked at once again after it only worked properly for 2 days. This time the technicians have said that my ECU had cut power for some reason, so they reset it. Apparently when the mini's are low on fuel, the ECU automatically reduces the power to safe guard from running out of fuel, so my problem was along the lines of this, although they did acknowledge that mine had lost alot of power wether I had a full tank or not, so was a little differerent.
Its working again now though, but it's only been a day. Only annoying thing is that once again the dealership seem a little lost as to why it was playing up. I'd be far more confident if they knew exactly what the fault was.

Hopefully thats the end of my troubles
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:04 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Norway Male View Strippekniv's Classified Ads
Just had the same problem here on my 07 MCS Clubbie in Norway:
Engine warning light coming on, with half the engine amber/orange.

Message reads: Engine fault. Redused power.
Then later: Increased emissions.

Idle is very uneven, and had to nurse it to the dealers this evening. Wouldn“t do more than 40 km/h.

Interesting to see that northern Americans have have had similar problems as we have similar climates. Updates or more info. from Canadian, American - or other Northern European owners, are appreciated!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Cooper S;)

Norway Male View Putte's Astro Black & White 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by Strippekniv (original)
Just had the same problem here on my 07 MCS Clubbie in Norway:
Engine warning light coming on, with half the engine amber/orange.

I have the same problem on my MCS 09. But only when it's cold and i haven't been driving for 2-3+ days.
I just drive or rew it a bit, turn the engine of and on again. All the warnings are gone and i have full power again
But Minis apparently doesn't like the cold very well
Thanks for this post from:
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Obsessive Not Compulsive

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Canada Male
Here in Alberta Canada the Gen. 2 Cooper S cars experience problems when ambient temperatures are below -14C and the relative humidity is high. The check engine light in the tachometer comes on in yellow with a diagonal slash through it, the idle stumbles between 900 - 1300 rpm, exhaust backfires, and the car is a real pain to drive. City is manageable, but on highway the revs are limited to about 3000 rpm, with subsequent low speeds causing a serious safety problem. Has happened to my '09 MCS twice this winter, the second occurrence the small check engine light in the speedometer stayed lit, after the problem resolved. I pulled two trouble codes from the OBDII port:
P1637 : Throttle Valve Position Control; Control Deviation.
P1638 : Throttle Valve Position Control; Throttle Stuck Temporarily.
The fix is reported to be a new 4-port intake manifold, part#11-61-4-584-240.
Two of our Edmonton MINI Club members have had this part installed to '09 MCS models, and the problem has not reoccurred.
I need to book a service appointment with my dealer soon to have this work done...

'09 R56 Cooper S BRG/W, LSD, JCW RSB, BT/USB, Alloy Dash (current obsession)
'04 R50 Cooper CR/W, JCW Sound Kit (sold to Son #1) '06 R53 Cooper S DS/B, Rallye Package (Son #2 ride)
Thanks for this post from:
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
MINI2 on order!
Send a message via MSN to AndyParker

United Kingdom Male
i had this light come on this morning on my 59 plate JCW (3500 miles)! i started the car and the revs surged past the 900 normal idle point to about 1500 and then calmed back down. Drove half way down the street and went to accelerate and almost no power and then the light came on. Drove it about 1km down the road with the exhaust burbling, spitting and popping before everything ran smoothly and power restored. Drove it 15 miles to work and 15 back again this evening and all seems fine again.
Not sure what caused it - not particularly cold this morning, especially compared to previous mornings this and last month.
Only thing i have noticed is the fan seems to come on a lot more than previously and i also have a sneeking suspicion that the heater inside the car isn't working as it only gets warm when really working the engine before going cool again if doing normal revs.
It's got to go to mini to have a couple bits done soon anyway so will mention this when i take it in and see if they have any joy
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 05:49 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Germany Male
I am new here.. i came to the forum searching for answers. i live in germany and recently we have been having sub-zero freezing weather.. for the last 2 weeks it has been -12 and up. my car started pulling this number that Yellow peril was describing. also increased emissions due to engine malfunction, and decrease battery life. and its also saying the car needs service when it was just serviced.. the germans are not known for their customer service and when i took the car to them initially they were very not nice about helping me though my car is still on warranty, which by the way is voided in 2 weeks. the car is barly 2 years old and i am starting to have all these issues.. what the heck?! i will definatley keep all abrest on this matter. i love my mini.. i just love looking at it every morning.. its like the first day i drove it from the show room. i still get giddy. but i am not a happy camper right now..
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Sparkling Silver

England Female
Unhappy Engine light and wet weather

I have had my Mini One for just under 5 years and it has been mostly trouble free (apart from needing new roll-bar bushes). However, last night for the first time the yellow engine warning light came on. I had driven home through torrential rain and some big puddles, but the light only came on when I started the car up an hour later to put it in the garage. It was difficult to keep it ticking over as it kept stalling. Have left it at home in the garage today in the hope it will dry out. Hope I haven't done any serious damage. Have absolutely no idea about mechanics or electrics.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England Male
Hi guys similar problem... When im in traffic when the engine is warm the yellow engine light comes on and then the engine dies... Have to turn it of then back on and it runs fine... Will let u all know what they say taking it in saturday... And yes its a 07 cooper s
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 04:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Canada Male
I have had the same problem a few times each winter (I live in Ottawa, Canada) since owning the car. I have a 2008 Clubman S. I presume the new intake manifold is not covered after warranty expires (?) How expensive is this part and how big a job to replace this myself?
Thx.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Czech Republic
Hi,

My story is a bit different....and would be funny if not disappointing.

I own a 2.5 years old Countryman Diesel All4. My wife use it and it went perfectly till when we took if for the first service (a few days before 2 years). The day after the service the car showed the orange engine fault light on and off (not continuously) so i called the BMW service and booked the car for a check. The car was still under guarantee when the fault appeared but after guarantee when they made the check. The BMW team told that the Turbo needed to be replaced and after long discussion they agreed to do it under the guarantee terms........things went well for 3 months and the light came up again....I took the car to the BMW service and the y guy told me that there were no particular issues and they reset the computer blaming on a fault.........now, a month later the light goes on and off again.......I am going to the garage next week (after Easter)....but I am afraid it will be useless.

Has any one of you experienced anything similar? By the way the car had 6 thousand Km when the first service occurred and has less then 8 thousand now.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement