MINI Cooper Forum banner

Lost Oil Cap!

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  minione2002 
#1 ·
Driving home tonight the engine started to boom a bit as if the exhaust was blown. When I got home checked under the bonnet to see that the oil cap was missing! Oil splattered everywhere. No sign of the oil cap in the engine compartment - assume it's lying by the roadside somewhere. I wouldn't have thought it could have worked loose as it has always been quite stiff to get undone and do up. I'm sure it was as tight as it should have been last time I toppped it up which was some weeks ago.

I don't know if it is fault or not but I'd thought I'd post it here just in case of anybody else has a similar problem in the future.

#7 ·
'Scuse me for reviving an old thread...

My dad has had this issue twice now on his 53-plate MCS (I know I'm in second gen, but thought it might be the same issue). Only this time he's lost the cap too. It's not rocket science to put the cap back on; it either goes on or it doesn't, and he's been (even more) particular about it since last time, thinking it was his fault, which I now doubt. It seems that the damned thing is working its way loose. Last time, there was oil all over the engine bay; I've not seen it this time yet, but I can imagine that I'll be cleaning that up for him again :mad:

Replacement oil cap has been ordered. Just wondering if there's a reason behind this, that anyone knows of? Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything like an oil cap clamp (in the same way that you can buy coilpack clamps, for example) that keep it down, that could prevent this from happening again.

#9 ·
Where can I order replacement cap?

I also lost my oil filler cap and just found it out now, probably already a few days ago.

1. Where can I order a cheap cap in the UK. I tried Amazon and Ebay and what is shown there as Peugeut looks very similar (if you search for ...

"Oil Filler Cap - SODIAL(R) For Citroen Peugeot 206 207 307 308 407 508 806 Engine Oil Filler Cap 025856" (i am not allowed to post URL here in the forum)

... on Amazon UK? Do you think that fits? Otherwise can you recommend me a link?

I can find a shop in the US but shipping more than 40$.

2. When I clean up under the bonnet after replacing the cap, is there something to be careful of? I.e. an area I should avoid using any detergent?

My car is a Mini One 1.4 2009 (R56) model.

Thanks a lot for any help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.