MINI COOPER 07 heater blowing cold air-HELP - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > Second Generation Faults & Fixes

Second Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes Late 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R56 Mini Cooper Erratic surging at idle from cold start Norfolk-Mini Second Generation Faults & Fixes 6 Mar 13th, 2014 03:12 PM
2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop Revealed AutoGuide.com MINI News 12 Feb 12th, 2014 02:12 PM
Brooklands Mini Day Sunday, March 24, 2013 mab01uk Mini Events 11 Apr 5th, 2013 06:11 PM
mini one - heating issues laurabond2002 First Generation MINI One 4 Jan 20th, 2013 12:53 PM
Mini Australia service chilld Dealership Feedback 4 Sep 4th, 2012 05:29 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 03:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:49 AM
United States
MINI COOPER 07 heater blowing cold air-HELP

Maybe someone can help with this. I have an 07 MINI Cooper S that is blowing cold air instead of heated air when I turn on the heater. This is a new problem, basically in the past few days.
Any suggestions?
I hate to take it in to the BMW dealer and pay a fortune if it is something I can check.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:49 PM
United Kingdom
Is it just from the upper vents? I know its a BMW (and Mini) trait to have the top vents blow cooler air than the bottom.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:49 AM
United States
It is coming from the upper and lower vents. It might have something to do with the coolant level. the light came on this afternoon while I was out. I am going to check it when the engine cools down.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 11:39 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:49 AM
United States
2007 Mini heater blowing cool air

Hello Huntdiane and all,

I too have a 2007 Mini Cooper with heater problems. It now has 96,000 miles and I have just started having this problem. Heater will not blow out hot air bottom or top vents when ideling or low speeds even after driving for and hour. I do get hot air at highway speeds but when I slow down to turn or stop I can tell immediate change in air temp it starts cooling down. Does anyone know what I need to check or what might could be the culprit? I do all my on basic service work as far as oil, filters and brake maintenance so I hoping its just something simple that I am missing.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 09:29 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom View Scrounger's Classified Ads
its the coolant level

check and top up. you may also have an air lock in your coolant
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:49 AM
United States
Hello Scrounger,

Thanks for the quick reply,

After reading more on this forurm, I did check my coolant level it was down below the minimum. The coolant looked clean so I topped it off with some more 50/50 yesterday. Weather here in middle GA has warmed up so I havn´t had any cold mornings to check it out yet which is fine by me. Hopefully this will correct my problem.

Thanks for the advice,

Later

James
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:49 AM
United Kingdom
Hello All
I am new to the forum.... i have just started getting a similar problem with my MCS it an 07. There is no hot air. when the car is cold and i start it for very short period of time the radiator fan runs on after the engine has been stopped, i checked the coolant and it was low. i have topped it up. but i cannot find where to bleed it from. the oil is not milky so i'm hoping its not a head gasket problem.... any ideas? anything would be appreciated
many thanks in advance
Andi
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 02:40 PM
MINI2 Regular
Send a message via MSN to adam_Randell

United Kingdom Male View adam_Randell's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile View adam_Randell's Classified Ads
if there was cooling in the reservoir you shouldnt need to bleed it.

the fan does occasionally stay on for a few minutes after the engine has been turned off.

Old Dec 19th, 2011, 02:30 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Hi

I am new to this, I bought a 2001 Mini cooper in Aug this year, as winter has come I have wanted to put the heating on, but I only get cool air blowing out, the air con works great and gets really cold, I have checked the levels off the coolant and that is fine, I dont even get warm air when I have been in the car for a hour or so, any idea plse. Many thanks
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:49 AM
I am new here but have lurked here for a while. I have seen this problem in a number of posts and thought that I would comment. I too had similar problems and after a number of frustrating experiences I think there is a solution.
I drive a R53 Mini Cooper and had a problem with the heater blowing cold air. My specific problem was the driver’s side vents blew luke warm air while the passenger side and the floor vents blew cold air. I am mechanically inclined but am not a trained mechanic.

The Likely Cause: The cap on the expansion tank came loose last summer and some antifreeze escaped. It overheated. I filled the tank to the appropriate levels. The weather was still warm and the heater was not used. After the incident, the car was cooling just fine.

Cold weather arrived and the car would not put out any heat worth mentioning. The vehicle was taken several times to a mechanic. He bled the line through both the front and rear valves. This was done on a level surface. He told me that it was good to go. The problem continued to persist. No heat. Took it back. No luck. Went back a third time and he said he talked to a Mini expert who indicated that the thermostats in Mini’s are notorious for going bad. He said the heater core rarely goes bad.

So he replaced the thermostat and put in new antifreeze. Bled the line on a level surface. Same result – No heat.

Went to new mechanic and outlined the work performed by the previous mechanic. His solution was to first flush the system to include the radiator and heater core. Said some gunk came out of it. Then when they filled the system with Mini antifreeze. But there is a bit of a trick. The radiator on a Mini is located below the level of the engine. So the front end of the car was raised 8 – 10 inches (with a jack) while they bled the line on the lower end. Then they pressure filled the cooling system to get all of the air out of the upper end and out of the heater core. The mechanic reminded me that the cooling system is essentially a hydraulic system, and in that vein is similar to your brake system where it can be (and is often) filled with a pressure pump. This allows one to remove all of the air in the system.

The car provides comfortable heat now. This is a bit of an obscure issue. Note that when no heat was being produced the car was running fine and the engine was cooling fine. Mileage is mid 80,000. The level in the expansion tank was set to the correct level. No issues until the weather got cold. Cold weather set in, and the heater simply was “anemic to poor” if you will.

Solution: It appears that the thorough flushing, and more importantly, removing the air from the heater core and the upper end of the engine (as described above) solved the problem. I hope this helps the frustration many who have listed this as a problem on this post and other posts.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 07:55 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
heater is blowing cold air out

hi I have a 03 mini one and the heaters are blowing cold air out all the time.

I have checked the heater matrix pipes and unit and all are warm

any ideas what it could be

thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by trembluk07 (original)
hi I have a 03 mini one and the heaters are blowing cold air out all the time.

I have checked the heater matrix pipes and unit and all are warm

any ideas what it could be

thanks

This long previous thread may help for your 03 Mk1/1st Gen Mini:
2002 Cooper S lukewarm heater
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...rm-heater.html

Solving MINI Cooling Problems.......... - Forums
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:53 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote: Originally Posted by andi (original)
Hello All
I am new to the forum.... i have just started getting a similar problem with my MCS it an 07. There is no hot air. when the car is cold and i start it for very short period of time the radiator fan runs on after the engine has been stopped, i checked the coolant and it was low. i have topped it up. but i cannot find where to bleed it from. the oil is not milky so i'm hoping its not a head gasket problem.... any ideas? anything would be appreciated
many thanks in advance
Andi

Hi, did you ever get this problem fixed? I bought an 07 mini one convertible today, i drove it home 30 miles and it didnt get warm it was freezing! I noticed the loud noise coming from the engine too that sounded like a hoover then went off. I hear this is normal but i think the two put together definitely sounds like a problem! I used to have an 08 mini one and never heard that noise coming from the engine once in all the years i had it!
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 09:41 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Sounds like you need to check the coolant level and top up if it is low. The heater blowing cold normally means there is air in the system due to the coolant level dropping possibly due to a leak. The cooling system will need bleeding of air. The loud hoover noise is the radiator cooling fan cutting in because it senses the engine is too hot. Check this out as soon as possible as driving the car with low coolant can cause serious engine overheating and damage.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 07:58 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote: Originally Posted by mab01uk (original)
Sounds like you need to check the coolant level and top up if it is low. The heater blowing cold normally means there is air in the system due to the coolant level dropping possibly due to a leak. The cooling system will need bleeding of air. The loud hoover noise is the radiator cooling fan cutting in because it senses the engine is too hot. Check this out as soon as possible as driving the car with low coolant can cause serious engine overheating and damage.

Hi there!
Thanks for your reply! As i only had the car a week the dealer booked me in at their garage and told me there was an air lock. They bled the system and everything was fine until 1 week later when the heaters started blowing cold again and fan coming on. Took it back they said it was air locked again and said possibly due to a leak in the head gasket. They've told me to give it another week but the heater is already starting to blow cold again when I slow speed down.
I suppose what id like to know is does this sound to you like a head gasket problem?? I've heard people with same problems getting thermostat replaced and solving the problem!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: ,