post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

help - Instrument panel has gone all tempra'mental'

Driving home the other day on the motorway i noticed the speedometer dipped on me a few times while doing 70 mph. The red brake warning light also came on. This kept happening intermittently until eventually it just gave up and the needle dropped to 0 mph throughtout my 3 hr journey it kicked backed into life intermittently but only for the odd second or two. I notcied that my fuel gauge also stayed in the same position and that i wasnt clocking any miles.

Current staus is that the fuel gauge is now dead showing my tank as empty. after initial start up the speedo is fine for about a 30 seconds then the red brake warning light comes on and it dies again.

It's been sugessted this could be a fault of some description with the earthing. Ive checked the ones in the boots and at the front part of the engine bay. I know there there are others in the footwells and near the bulkhead under the bonnet but I don't know how to go about getting at them (particualrly the ones reached through the interior).

Can anyone help me out here ?

Any views on whether this likely to be an earthing issue or something much more serious would also be useful.

The ABS light and airbag light have been on for a while i know i need to replace a sensor and get the seat wiring looked at. Would these have had any influence on this issue ?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

sorry forgot to add...Feb 2002 Mini Cooper. 79K miles done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.