post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

help - Instrument panel has gone all tempra'mental'

Driving home the other day on the motorway i noticed the speedometer dipped on me a few times while doing 70 mph. The red brake warning light also came on. This kept happening intermittently until eventually it just gave up and the needle dropped to 0 mph throughtout my 3 hr journey it kicked backed into life intermittently but only for the odd second or two. I notcied that my fuel gauge also stayed in the same position and that i wasnt clocking any miles.

Current staus is that the fuel gauge is now dead showing my tank as empty. after initial start up the speedo is fine for about a 30 seconds then the red brake warning light comes on and it dies again.

It's been sugessted this could be a fault of some description with the earthing. Ive checked the ones in the boots and at the front part of the engine bay. I know there there are others in the footwells and near the bulkhead under the bonnet but I don't know how to go about getting at them (particualrly the ones reached through the interior).

Can anyone help me out here ?

Any views on whether this likely to be an earthing issue or something much more serious would also be useful.

The ABS light and airbag light have been on for a while i know i need to replace a sensor and get the seat wiring looked at. Would these have had any influence on this issue ?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

sorry forgot to add...Feb 2002 Mini Cooper. 79K miles done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply