MINI Cooper Forum banner

vacuum pump failure, then engine failure

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mellow2009 
#1 ·
My car has just had a catastrophic engine failure that, according to the service tech, starts with seizure of the vacuum pump, then a cam failure and finally stationary valves assaulted by dynamic pistons.

All of this in a 2007 S with 33.000 miles on the clock.

There seems to be some question as to whether Mini will pay for the fix. I was a bit overdue for an oil change (which for a life-long car guy is plain sloppy and embarrassing) but the service schedule as dictated by the vehicle had taught me that long intervals (~ 10.000 miles) were standard.

I've surfed the web a bit and it appears that this is not uncommon, especially at such low mileage.

Comments? Defense strategies?

#2 ·
I have 70k miles on my mini cooper s clubman 09, and this is the same thing that just happen. I just happen yesterday on the road! DId you ever got your resolve for free or not? My option right now seem to be to replace my new with a used engine but I still need to find the repair manual to do the engine swap.

Anyone know how I can find a repair manual for clubman s 09? I couldn't find anything searching online, maybe because it's too new.

Help!

#3 ·
My car just turned off while I was driving. They suspected timing chain but when it got to shop they are now blaming it on vacuum pump failure and won't pay.

My guess is they find a different part to blame it on so they don't have to pay to fix it. They also said my oil was low which I was very surprised. It had 60,000 and the timing chain was replaced in 2012.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.