Parking lights drained my battery dead but I didn't turn them on! - MINI Cooper Forum

Second Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes Late 2006 - Present

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

Parking lights drained my battery dead but I didn't turn them on!

I went to start my '09 MINI this morning and it was dead. I've had it for a little over 2 years and it has 26K on it.

Had roadside come out and jump start it, he said to leave it running for 20-30 minutes. I called MINI service and they said bring it in while it's running so they could replace the battery.

I went out after about 10-15 minutes and the car was dead again. It died while idling.

My husband jump started it and I immediately drove off to MINI, 22 miles away. They ran diagnostics and said I needed a new battery, the battery was completely dead. BUT, they weren't going to pay for it because I had left the parking lights on. WTF? I never mess with the lights. They are always on automatic and I don't even remember the last time I drove at night.

We asked if they had turned the parking lights off at the shop? They said no. Well seriously, if I didn't turn them on I darn sure didn't them off before going to the shop!

Anyone have any ideas? They won't replace the battery ($249) because of the parking lights which mysteriously came on and then off by themselves.

I opted to pay for a battery from the shop as when the mysterious parking light bandit strikes again, they claim they'll cover the battery at that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2011, 10:02 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

I thought the parking lights are operated from the indicator stalk whilst the ignition is off.. put the indicator stalk up or down depending on what side you want the lights on.

So my point is how do Mini know you left them on. If you drove to them then you would of used your indicators on the way..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.