MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male

Update (resolved) Clutch grind/growl

Well, I feel stupid.

Decided to open the hood and I noticed the plastic engine cover that protects the diesel common rail was loose. Fitted it back in place - no noise. Apparently it was nothing to do with the clutch. It's weird though, I could have sworn it was coming from the bell housing and not under the hood. Always seemed to occur during the same clutch movement and everything. Engine must vibrate at a particular frequency during starting from a stop.

Very strange. It didn't sound at all like plastic vibrating. I guess I've had so many problems with this car, now I'm paranoid and over-reacting.

---------------------------------------------------

2009 Clubman D with approx 76,000km on the clock. Clutch and dual mass flywheel were both replaced in December 2011 (about 2 & 1/2 months ago). Car does overwhelmingly highway miles with little to no stop and go. New clutch has probably only 2500km on it, practically all highway miles.

Yesterday, I started up the car and put the clutch in. Shifter into first. Start to bring up the clutch to get going from a stop and I get a grinding/growling noise. Sounds horrible. Noise is only there when the clutch pedal is travelling. Once the clutch is fully engaged, no noise (perhaps a little bit, but noise is basically being generated during pedal travel).

Once I get out of first, there seems to be no noise (maybe a little in 2nd gear immediately after a gear change, but as the car picks up speed it disappears). No noise that I can hear in 3-6th. Doesn't seem to do it in reverse.

Shifting is smooth with no difficulty engaging gears. Power delivery seems to be okay. Clutch pedal could feel a little soft, can't really say for sure.

Any ideas as to what this could be? I mean, the clutch kit and flywheel are new and were very gently broken in. Car goes in Wednesday for a separate problem, but I may as well get them to look at this at the same time.

I'm just wondering what it could be so I can have some idea of potential cost.

Thanks.

Last edited by MiniDeLux; Feb 25th, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply