Clubman D Fluid Leak - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > Second Generation Faults & Fixes

Second Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes Late 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fluid Leak In My New 2005 MC??? discokachina First Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Dec 1st, 2008 09:49 PM
Break fluid leak ??? grumpy07470 First Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Mar 15th, 2003 08:17 AM
Help! Washer Fluid Leak! GMINI First Generation Faults & Fixes 5 Jan 31st, 2003 06:48 PM
Brake Fluid Leak? 80spitfire First Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Dec 31st, 2002 08:38 AM
Brake Fluid Leak RONNIE First Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Mar 9th, 2002 05:58 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:17 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
Mini Mad

Local Time: 10:02 AM
England Male
Clubman D Fluid Leak

I have a black / dark orange fluid leaking from just in front of the rear right wheel, I removed the under tray to find a large plastic box about the size of a shoe box, im guessing its something to do with the cat or emission system as this fluid has no noticeable smell. Anyone with any ideas or comments would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 26th, 2012, 11:10 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 11:02 AM
Luxembourg Male
Does your Clubman have the PSA diesel engine or the BMW variant?

In the PSA motor, the cat and emission system is in the dead front centre of the car behind the turbo heat shielding. The diesel fuel additive reservoir is at the rear of the car.

The waterpump is in the area you describe. Are you sure it's not contaminated coolant?

Could it be coming from the suspension or the drive shaft?

Quote: Originally Posted by Malc6552UK (original)
I have a black / dark orange fluid leaking from just in front of the rear right wheel, I removed the under tray to find a large plastic box about the size of a shoe box, im guessing its something to do with the cat or emission system as this fluid has no noticeable smell. Anyone with any ideas or comments would be helpful

Old Aug 28th, 2012, 01:16 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Diesel additive leak on clubman - Same issue here

I have the same issue here. Noticed some thick golden coloured fluid on my garage floor after I had been away for a week. Drove car for a long journey and the entire of the back end of the car was splattered with the same fluid. Been to the dealer and my diesel additive tank is leaking. News to me as I didn't even realise I had one. They want £460 to replace the leaky tank and refil. I was a bit stunned by the charge as leak usually means replacing seals to me and they are suggesting complete replacement of the whole addative system. Googles around and found that the fluid is called Eolys and is something that is used to keep the deisel particulate filter clean. There are loads of sites saying that there are huge costs involved.
I was very interested in this site honestjohndotcodotuk (sorry forum wouldn't let me post the URL) that claims this could be a common fault

"Latest Update Mini Clubman R55: On PSA engined 1.6 diesels (to autumn 2010) Eolys DPF additive tanks can leak and BMW delaers don't know much about them so can hit the customer for a complete new additive system at £900."

Makes my quote sound a bargain.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England
Diesel additive leak on Clubman

Hi there,
The Honest John note was posted as a result of my wife's experience with her '08-reg. Clubman D.
We noticed exactly the same symptoms lloydml describes (at first, we thought it was sap from a tree she parks under sometimes!). Realized what was happening, took the car in and were quoted £900 for for repairs! The work has now been done, but we are in dispute with the dealer, so this story isn't finished yet!
The 1.6 Diesel engines used on the Clubmans up to 2010 are PSA/Ford/BMW collaborations. They are fitted with catalytic converters and Diesel Particle Filters (DPF) which, unlike BMW BMW Diesels (which use DPFs that don't required additive injection to assist their operation), are based on PSA's additive-assisted DPF system (whether or not the additive is Eolys, I don't know - BMW/MINI aren't saying). The additive is contained in a reservoir (which looks like a flat plastic bag) and injected into the main fuel tank by a pump, the whole reservoir/pump assembly being bolted to the underside of the main fuel tank as Malc6552UK describes. The trouble is, that the reservoir/pump assembly seems to be connected in a way that means that BMW dealers can't be bothered to separate the two and find out which component is actually leaking. As the Honest John note says, BMW dealers are completely unfamiliar with the MINI DPF system and some don't even know it exists - they just assume MINIs have the same system as 320Ds, 535Ds, etc.
In my wife's cars' case, we took the car in to have a fluid leak fixed, and the dealers' technicians decided they couldn't undo the single fastener holding the additive reservoir/pump assembly on to the underside of the main fuel tank, and so quoted us £900 to replace the additive reservoir/pump assembly - by replacing the entire main fuel tank! In lloydml's case, it looks as though his dealer did manage to get the nut/bolt undone, but still can't be bothered to try to separate the reservoir from the pump, so he gets away with only £460 - to replace what might well be just a failed 20p O-ring!!
N.B. To all - there's an awful lot of absolute rubbish being posted on the Internet about DPFs, and a lot of people making money in removing perfectly good DPFs on the back of all those scare stories. The MINI DPF system on my wife's car works fine - the tailpipe is absolutely clean, after 4 years and 24K miles use, and we've never had a problem with the system regenerating, or getting blocked, or any of the other stuff you can find on-line. This is just a case of a little fluid leak, quite possibly from a single failed O-ring/seal, which a BMW/MINI dealer cannot be bothered to repair properly.
BTW - MiniDeLux - you have a weird idea of where things are under the car if you think that "black/dark orange fluid leaking from just in front of the rear right wheel" could be coolant. Believe me, the coolant pump's a long way away from there, and so are the driveshafts (and since when did driveshafts leak fluid?)
As to whether it's common or not - who knows? That's what forums like this are for. My wife's car is one of the first Clubmans, and I think the Cooper Ds came out about the same time with the PSA 1.6 Diesel engine. Anyone else had strange fluid leaks from the back end of a 1.6 MINI Diesel?
Regards
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 09:38 AM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male
Is the replacement / topping up of the fluid a service item?
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 08:05 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by timp (original)
Is the replacement / topping up of the fluid a service item?

Cant be if the dealers dont know about it?
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England
It is on the service schedule, but (I think) only when the ECU flags it up - which can be a VERY long time, depending on usage, and perhaps how often the car is filled up etc. (Not sure about that last bit - that's how the PSA system works, but detailed information on the MINI system isn't easy to come by. I've got one of the BMW/MINI workshop manuals on CD which covers Clubman Ds, but it doesn't give much background info on how the system works. When the technician plugs in the dealer diagnostic gear, as they're supposed to do each service, I think it's then that the ECU tells them the additive needs topping-up.
The amount injected each time is apparently minute, so it seems you could go for a very long time before topping-up. Since this system only appeared in 2007-8, it's possible no-one's had to do it yet.
Has anyone had to have the additive topped up yet?
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I had the same problem with my Clubman D. It's a pretty simple fix and only cost £36 for a bottle of the fluid and a roll of duck tape ! I removed the plastic case that holds the fluid bag and discovered a couple of small splits in the bag. Cleaned it up and taped it to seal the splits then refill...only took about an hour. Happy to post more detailed instructions if you want to have a go. Can't believe the money dealers want to sort this out !!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Just had my DPF serviced and the additive topped up at my local Mini dealer after 80000 miles. The dealer has done a few under warranty that have split. Cost me £140. Never had any problems with it and the exhaust still has no soot in it.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 08:28 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Our 2007 Cooper D has had nothing but trouble with the DPF then thanks to p-torque.co.uk who destroyed the ECU trying to delete the DPF (be warned if going this route - they cost me £1500!!!!) we now have a car with no DPF software but the bloody thing still trys to regenerate all the time!! I am going to try to remove the EOLYS tank to see if that stops it so thanks for the tips on location
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 02:58 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Junks (original)
Our 2007 Cooper D has had nothing but trouble with the DPF then thanks to p-torque.co.uk who destroyed the ECU trying to delete the DPF (be warned if going this route - they cost me £1500!!!!)

If they broke it didnt they pay for a new one? Or did they say they could break it but you said carry on anyway?
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 04:39 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by The Nun (original)
If they broke it didnt they pay for a new one? Or did they say they could break it but you said carry on anyway?

They denied it was anything to do with them, car had a DPF light on, phoned them & they assured me it was an easy job if I sent them the ECU. Got the ECU back & the car didn't even have an engine management light & wouldn't turn over or anything, sent it back to them & they said they put it back to original but the car would now turn over but still wouldn't start. Had the car looked at & they had spiked the ECU & corrupted it so badly the new software from a dealer wouldn't even load back on. They wouldn't answer emails or calls after that. Took 6 months to fix & had running problems ever since
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 10:44 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by JimH (original)
I had the same problem with my Clubman D. It's a pretty simple fix and only cost £36 for a bottle of the fluid and a roll of duck tape ! I removed the plastic case that holds the fluid bag and discovered a couple of small splits in the bag. Cleaned it up and taped it to seal the splits then refill...only took about an hour. Happy to post more detailed instructions if you want to have a go. Can't believe the money dealers want to sort this out !!!

Hi Jim,
I have the same problem with my mini cooper d. The DPF light has came on, saying that car requires the additive top up. I personally am not the greatest when it comes to fixing cars, but know a friend who is good mechanically. Realise you did this yourself, would really appreciate if you could send me instructions on how to do this? Was thinking of going to the mini dealer, but don't think that would be the smartest move.

Thanks

Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: