MINI Cooper Forum banner

key fob wont start car!

71K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AR. 
#1 ·
PLEASE HELP! iv been having trouble with my key fob not locking door for few days now. That seems to be ok now...but this morning i put the fob in my 07 reg diesel mini cooper and nothing! No lights no ignition nothing! The fob still locks and unlocks car though! Please help as only have this one fob so cant use my car even to get to a garage! Could this be a fault with the fob or car?

#3 ·
Also you may need to replace the battery in the Key Fob itself. There maybe enough power to unlock/lock door but not enough to activate when the ignition when the ignition is active.

Do you have a second key fob unit? Have you tried that one, is the fault there with that key fob?

Cheers

#5 ·
The radio would work until the battery gets very low though,
Give the battery a charge for an hour or so, then try it? but I know you will say you havent got a charger?
Trouble is these days everyone becomes so used to not having to do anything to the car all the old get you going skills are lost.

#6 ·
From a previous post:

the key stopped working,

tried the above ,to reset the key, and it worked perfectly, so a huge great thankyou to designer-label for the cure, i thought i might have to take a day off to take the car into the city to the BM dealer,plus the cost, i'm now a very happy bunny.

To reset your key, well for 2004+ versions this works not sure if older ones...

Get in MINI put key in ignition then take it out
Point key at aerial at back of car
press and hold UNLOCK button
press key LOCK button 3 times within 10 seconds WHILE keeping UNLOCK button depressed.
Release UNLOCK button
System should lock and unlock car to indicate programming has been successful.

#8 ·
Im not so sure, but when resetting the key you have to be? in the car with the doors closed throughout the procedure, do you do it that way?
Give that a try.
Oh one other you could try recharging the key as its battery now might be flat, if you have an electric toothbrush, the holder has a induction loop charging system for the brush, lay the key on the holder switch it on and leave it for an hour or so to fully recharge??

#9 ·
I charged the key fob using the electric toothbrush charger. I left the car battery charging over night. I reset the key fob using the above method. Still nothing. Solution; the start stop button was always in the depressed position. A squirt with WD40 released the button. All that pain for 2 minutes work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.