Engine light, reduced power & louder exhaust - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > Second Generation Faults & Fixes


Second Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes Late 2006 - Present

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 07:39 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Local Time: 10:11 AM
United Kingdom
Unhappy Engine light, reduced power & louder exhaust

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but can't bring myself to post about my new mini because I can't really drive the thing!

I got a 07 Cooper R56 last week and two days after I noticed the clutch was slipping. The dealer agreed to replace it under warranty and it seems to have been rectified. However, it's caused other problems.

I noticed a significant reduction in power and a louder noise from the exhaust. I had a diagnostics expert come out to check problems on the ECU but nothing came to light. The next day, the yellow engine light came on and I'm reluctant to drive it until I know what's up.

I know to replace the clutch they would have had to take the engine off its mountings and unlink the gearbox. Could they have knocked something loose, or done a bad job of putting it back together?

If anyone has any ideas to what the problem could be, or a similar encounter, please lemme know! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM
MINI2 Senior
Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 454
Local Time: 12:11 PM
Luxembourg Male
First of all, get the code read.

I had a similar issue when they changed the clutch on my Clubman. The dealership damaged the turbocharger during the work. I ended up with a pre-cat leak and failure of an internal turbo seal. I didn't get any warning lights, however I was getting exhaust fumes in the engine bay which entered into the cabin. The damaged turbocharger was replaced under warranty.

This may or may not be your case, that's why its important to determine the cause of the EML light.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Local Time: 10:11 AM
United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by MiniDeLux (original)
First of all, get the code read.

I had a similar issue when they changed the clutch on my Clubman. The dealership damaged the turbocharger during the work. I ended up with a pre-cat leak and failure of an internal turbo seal. I didn't get any warning lights, however I was getting exhaust fumes in the engine bay which entered into the cabin. The damaged turbocharger was replaced under warranty.

This may or may not be your case, that's why its important to determine the cause of the EML light.

Thanks for the reply. It's reassuring to know someone else has had a similar issue and it was resolved. Gonna get it booked into the garage ASAP as I'm not sure I want fumes seeping into the cabin!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
MINI2 Senior
Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 454
Local Time: 12:11 PM
Luxembourg Male
Quote: Originally Posted by TomNeal (original)
Thanks for the reply. It's reassuring to know someone else has had a similar issue and it was resolved. Gonna get it booked into the garage ASAP as I'm not sure I want fumes seeping into the cabin!

If the pre-cat leak is indeed your issue, you'll smell it, trust me.

Let us know how you get on!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 09:03 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Local Time: 10:11 AM
United Kingdom
Smile re mini problem answer for tom neal

Quote: Originally Posted by TomNeal (original)
Hi there, I'm new to this forum but can't bring myself to post about my new mini because I can't really drive the thing!

I got a 07 Cooper R56 last week and two days after I noticed the clutch was slipping. The dealer agreed to replace it under warranty and it seems to have been rectified. However, it's caused other problems.

I noticed a significant reduction in power and a louder noise from the exhaust. I had a diagnostics expert come out to check problems on the ECU but nothing came to light. The next day, the yellow engine light came on and I'm reluctant to drive it until I know what's up.

I know to replace the clutch they would have had to take the engine off its mountings and unlink the gearbox. Could they have knocked something loose, or done a bad job of putting it back together?

If anyone has any ideas to what the problem could be, or a similar encounter, please lemme know! Thanks.

hi tom my wife mini 2007 one was suffering the same problem rang Baverian BMW belfast. who strait away asked if I had checked the oil.On doing so it did not even register on the dip stick. after puting in 2.5 lts of oil.The car was back to normal, I am quite mechanically minded and after 2 visits to local garages they were unable to indentify anything. This is a clear design fault when the engine light comes on before the oil light! Hope this sort your issue. My wife was delighted.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags: , , ,



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

» Recent Threads
Sprintbooster for MINI Cooper R56
May 14th, 2009 04:29 PM
Last post by Gacek191
Today 07:41 AM
9 Replies, 3,429 Views
I need a tool to flash a JCW map to my 04 MCS ECU
Yesterday 09:42 PM
Last post by djtmalta
Yesterday 10:36 PM
2 Replies, 193 Views
LED Daytime running lights - retro fit
Apr 15th, 2014 06:08 PM
Last post by french01
Yesterday 09:17 PM
6 Replies, 1,408 Views
Electric window stopped working
Jul 6th, 2006 03:48 PM
Last post by regarp
Yesterday 06:22 PM
34 Replies, 65,945 Views
Bonnet touching body
Aug 15th, 2014 03:47 PM
Last post by The Nun
Yesterday 03:58 PM
3 Replies, 456 Views
Facebook page selling mini parts around the uk
Yesterday 11:50 AM
by Alex93x
Last post by Restyle
Yesterday 03:25 PM
2 Replies, 152 Views
New Mini Cooper D - Worth the money?
Yesterday 01:33 PM
Last post by dangoodwin
Yesterday 01:33 PM
0 Replies, 131 Views
Mini Clubman Barn Doors Won't Lock
Oct 22nd, 2014 03:51 AM
Last post by WeeBad
Yesterday 01:03 PM
3 Replies, 431 Views
R56 Footwell module dead
Jul 15th, 2014 04:19 AM
by miniuy
Last post by k3fus
Yesterday 07:16 AM
6 Replies, 1,291 Views
inside lights
Oct 23rd, 2014 11:19 PM
Last post by bigmamabear
Oct 23rd, 2014 11:19 PM
0 Replies, 185 Views
Lights on warning not working
Oct 21st, 2014 11:42 AM
by S2dicky
Last post by S2dicky
Oct 23rd, 2014 09:16 PM
4 Replies, 487 Views
Smoked Headlight Covers GTO276S
Oct 23rd, 2014 08:49 PM
by tmath23
Last post by tmath23
Oct 23rd, 2014 08:49 PM
0 Replies, 185 Views
engine fan on more frequently
Oct 16th, 2014 01:46 PM
Last post by stewarth
Oct 23rd, 2014 07:27 PM
3 Replies, 663 Views
Cooper S judders when idle...
Jul 17th, 2010 04:53 PM
by ben_uk
Last post by Restyle
Oct 23rd, 2014 06:18 PM
6 Replies, 1,128 Views
R56 Aux input volume???????
Oct 20th, 2014 04:00 PM
Last post by Dermottdog
Oct 23rd, 2014 06:00 PM
4 Replies, 576 Views
Start/Stop engine button illuminated when car is locked
Oct 21st, 2014 08:07 PM
Last post by The Nun
Oct 23rd, 2014 05:03 PM
6 Replies, 576 Views
Wheel arch - advice please :)
Oct 22nd, 2014 10:08 PM
Last post by The Nun
Oct 23rd, 2014 05:00 PM
2 Replies, 271 Views
No spray on windshield wiper
Oct 19th, 2014 08:54 PM
by mom7x
Last post by CCroker
Oct 23rd, 2014 01:57 PM
2 Replies, 465 Views
Will I get jipped?
Oct 21st, 2014 11:14 PM
Last post by CCroker
Oct 23rd, 2014 01:52 PM
3 Replies, 399 Views
Rear wiper motor stem problem
Oct 18th, 2014 09:57 AM
Last post by ihughes
Oct 23rd, 2014 01:34 PM
4 Replies, 593 Views
» Premium
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2