MINI Cooper Forum banner

Engine light, reduced power & louder exhaust

13K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  david verner 
#1 ·
Hi there, I'm new to this forum but can't bring myself to post about my new mini because I can't really drive the thing!

I got a 07 Cooper R56 last week and two days after I noticed the clutch was slipping. The dealer agreed to replace it under warranty and it seems to have been rectified. However, it's caused other problems.

I noticed a significant reduction in power and a louder noise from the exhaust. I had a diagnostics expert come out to check problems on the ECU but nothing came to light. The next day, the yellow engine light came on and I'm reluctant to drive it until I know what's up.

I know to replace the clutch they would have had to take the engine off its mountings and unlink the gearbox. Could they have knocked something loose, or done a bad job of putting it back together?

If anyone has any ideas to what the problem could be, or a similar encounter, please lemme know! Thanks.

#2 ·
First of all, get the code read.

I had a similar issue when they changed the clutch on my Clubman. The dealership damaged the turbocharger during the work. I ended up with a pre-cat leak and failure of an internal turbo seal. I didn't get any warning lights, however I was getting exhaust fumes in the engine bay which entered into the cabin. The damaged turbocharger was replaced under warranty.

This may or may not be your case, that's why its important to determine the cause of the EML light.

#5 ·
re mini problem answer for tom neal

hi tom my wife mini 2007 one was suffering the same problem rang Baverian BMW belfast. who strait away asked if I had checked the oil.On doing so it did not even register on the dip stick. after puting in 2.5 lts of oil.The car was back to normal, I am quite mechanically minded and after 2 visits to local garages they were unable to indentify anything. This is a clear design fault when the engine light comes on before the oil light! Hope this sort your issue. My wife was delighted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.