MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 sunroof sticking issue (possible repair)

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TrendyHop 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've had my R56 Cooper S for just over two years, I love having the sunroof and use it all year round, however in the last few weeks I've noticed that when I try and open the sunroof it opens by about 10mm and sticks, I then need to press the button again and it returns to shut position.. I've been doing my research on the forum to find that this is a common and expensive fault, to save money I've checked the motor myself as I'm a mechanical engineer and have the facilities in work to do so, the motor is spot on, no issues.. My question is, has anyone taken the sunroof apart to grease the guideways? I've seen that there's 3 torx bolts on each side, and presume that I need to remove these to remove the glass. Has anyone got any pointers for me? I contacted my nearest dealer to speak to a technician for advice and they wernt willing to give me any.. As usual.. Their useless..
I hope someone is able to advise me :) plus I'm sorry for the long story but I thought we needed as much info as possible :)

#2 ·
It’s been some time since your post but I can safely say that there’s nothing to removing the glass panels as I did to clean out the tracks on my r56. Refitting them was quite easy since I am unable to make the roof to operate in any way. What I would like to know is how can someone enable or disable the whole mechanism

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.