MINI Cooper Forum banner

Engine Management fuse blows on start up

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tabintab 
#1 ·
Hi Mini Forum,

I am a new member and I own a Mini Cooper Sidewalk 1600cc Convertible 2007, Limited Edition.

I wonder if anyone can offer there advice on a small electrical problem that my Mini has developed.

Very occasionally, not every time, fuse 3, 15amp, Engine Management fuse blows on starting the engine.

The engine fires up and tries to start then dies on me. The engine then will not fire when the engine is turned over.

However I replace the fuse and the engine will start with no problem.

I wonder if it could be a component faulty, eg starter motor or could it be a wiring fault.

I have been told that there is no Haynes Manual available for this model so I am unable to find out what components are protected by this fuse.

My local Mini Dealers wanted to take the vehicle in and make investigations on a day to day basis to establish the fault but that could work out to be very costly.

I would be so grateful for any advice given. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
According to the workshop for the 2007 to 2011 models manual, engine management fuses
Fuse 3 is stated as being a 20amp for engine control module, crankcase breather heater relay.
Might be someone has put a smaller fuse in at sometime because its all they had??

#6 ·
Fuse fault fixed

Hi Mini Forum,

Great news fault fixed thanks to a really helpful AA breakdown guy and a local Auto Electrical repair garage.

The other day the fuse blew on start up and I tried to replace it about five or six times so I knew that the fault was permanently on.

It has taken nearly 2 years to get to this stage.

I called out the breakdown recovery and told him not to replace the fuse but to tow me to the local garage.

However he managed to narrow the fault down to the feed to the fuel pump.

He then towed me to the local Auto Electrical repair garage.

To cut a long story short the fault was traced to the wiring loom between the engine compartment and the fuel pump at the rear of the vehicle. It runs from the fuse box in the front left hand side of the engine compartment down into the chassis box section under the passenger seat to the rear of the vehicle near the petrol tank.

The fault went clear when the wiring loom was disconnected at both ends and he tried to get the fault back on by shaking the loom.

It seems as though the fault has now gone but he has offerred to remove the passenger seat and pull back the carpet to expose the wiring loom in the chassis box section to expose the full length of the loom to see if the fuel pump feed has been rubbing against a screw or a sharp metal edge which would have caused the short circuit to earth.

The engine would not start due the fact that when the fuse blew the fuel pump should give a short burst of fuel to prime the carburettor then when the engine starts a relay takes over to keep the fuel pump sending a permanent supply of fuel to the carburettor.

I was only charged for 1 hours labour.

I hope that you find this information useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.