LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

2008 R56 something is drawing down my battery!

Car goes to sleep in about 15 seconds(as it should), all interior lights go out etc.

but

If you pull the neg side of the battery something is using 10 volts of draw.
also
When you put the neg side back onto the battery it is a big spark!
(lot of draw)
We removed the power supply to the fueses under the hood and there is no spark there so whatever it is appears to being drawn from the fuses at the passenger footwell.

I assume all the computers to the car plug in at this footwell fuse box, i was not able to unplug the 5 or so of those.

I removed each fuse one at a time and watched the draw and nothing changed. All fuses are good.

We also removed the power supply going to the alternator and its not that.

Only codes are from a tpms issue and i wouldnt think thats it.

HELP>>>>>>>>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 03:36 AM

United Kingdom Male View Tigercub's Midnight Black & Chili Red 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile

I have a 2011 JCW and I get a spark when I re-connect the battery terminal if I need to remove it for anything. I think this must be normal as I dont have any problems with mine. I wonder if its the amp for the HK stereo as this does stay on for a few min after the car is switched off I think. So I wonder if it comes on when the battery is connected then goes off again when it times out possibly.

May I ask whats the problem is your battery going flat ? When you say 10v of draw i dont understand what you mean as draw is current and this is calculated in amps not volts.

How old is your battery could it just be an exhausted battery . Could you need a new battery?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

battery tests good, 4 years old. battery will be to flat to start car in 48 hours of sitting. something is not going to sleep as the aprk is too strong...should be a little spark but not like a welding spark from a sleeping car.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View Tigercub's Midnight Black & Chili Red 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile

Dont know then. Only thing I can think of it to connect a multi meter in line with the ground leg of the battery and set the milti meter on current 10/20 amp range then try to find out what is taking the most current in amps by removing fuses. Have a look at this link I think it could help you out. Dont attempt to start the car when the meter is connected or you will blow the meter fuse !

How to Find and Stop Car Battery Drains – DIY Car Battery Drain - Popular Mechanics
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

did that, its only drawing .44 with the meter set at 20amp...not sure if this is what it should be drawing or not? Maybe it is my battery? Pulled every fuse inside and under hood...didnt really find any fuse that made much of a difference????
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2013, 08:45 PM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male

Can you clarify the .44 - if it's .44 of 20 amps then it's way too much. If it .44 of an amp then it's still too much.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM
MINI2 Regular

440 mili amps i think you can check with the dealer or maybe a info manual but that is to much I suspect Could be a problem with the alternator or something tracking down to the car negative ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.