MINI Cooper Forum banner

water in rear boot floor tool area

29K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  McAslan 
#1 ·
Hi,

I had to remove the front wheels yesterday so opened the boot floor cover to get the locking wheel nut key.

The tool tray was quite full of water with about half an inch of water in the toolkit well. The carpet in the boot was dry but it looks as if the water is coming from just under the rear seat backs; there is a metal crossmember built into the floor under the seat backs, covered by carpet and the metal is wet. it seems like the water is coming in from this area and pooling in the tool tray area.

Whilst it has been very wet this week, I don't think it's a good idea to ignore it and hope it goes away!

Is this a common issue and where should I start to look for the leak...?

oh, by the way it is a 2008 mini cooper S with about 20k miles and the factory fitted roof spoiler...never been crashed or repaired either.

thanks for your help

Jon

See less See more
#5 ·
Had the same problem on a 2009 Clubman. There was water collecting in the spare wheel well in the back. The problem was with the sealing in the joints of the body panels on the underside of the car. Required re-sealing and a 24 hour drying period. Cost me about €200 for labour and sealant. Car smelled like a glue factory for about a week afterwards, but it's been bone dry back there since the dealership fixed it.

Could be perhaps a similar issue on the Coopers.

#7 ·
I argued for warranty coverage but the warranty ran out in June 2011 and I noticed the water in the boot around September 2012 (even though I am sure it was leaking for some time as there were a few rust bubbles and dried mineral spots). Dealership wouldn't budge on it even though I tried the production fault route but according to BMW/Mini this isn't a known issue - which I thought strange given the number of other Clubman owners I've come across with the identical issue.

Anyways, it's fixed now.

#8 ·
The more I read about BMW's service for mini owners, the more I am astounded by their total indifference and dreadful service. If the the leak is from failed body sealing, it has to be a production fault unless the car has been significantly repaired at some time.

I have a 20 year old Fiat coupe - that doesn't leak and neither does my 30 year old Porsche.....or my new Mercedes, so how does BMW think it can get away with this type of dismissal?

I've already suffered the failed cam chain tensioner on this car ( the one that BMW says is not a fault) and now this. Frankly this is the worst service I've ever had from any manufacturer!

I'm going to get the car checked over and we will see what we find...more later!

#10 ·
I've had this on two 2007 Clubmans - it was the same on both.

The water is making it's way through the seam, where the rear panels that make up the wing, inner wing and rear sill join. There is hole in the pressing of the sill for the lock mechanism - if you remove the plastic cover, you'll see it entirely.

When the main rubber continuous seal for the back doors lifts away or loosens in any way (they don't seem to have come on much in 40 years...) water breaches it, pools in front of the hole and starts filling your wheel well once it is the 3mm or 4mm depth to get over the lock hole. There are a couple of other places along this pressing that water can come in also. It takes very little space between seal and pressing for a lot of capillary water to come through.

I worked it out by stripping all internal panels, carpets and sticking a slow hosepipe on the roof gutter. Climbed inside with a torch and it was obvious.

Cure was re-compress the seal all the way round with clamps, having applied some sealant, or get a new seal, clean it all up and refit with some additional sealant as insurance.

#11 ·
Hi,

I found water under the boot carpet of my R56 last week, but not to the extent of it filling the tool kit well. Most of it was under the flap of carpet that trims the left hand side of the boot. No idea where it's coming from, but I dried it out and will keep an eye on it to see if was a one off.

#12 ·
i had water in the tool well,
after removing the inner hatchback panel and hosing i found it to be coming from under the rear window trim.
the clips to hold it on had no seal between them and the holes in the bodywork they fixed to. i dont know if it was like that from new as i bought the car as used. anyway a couple of quid for new clips (with the seals) and an added blob of silicone for good measure under each and now leak free. i can now use the carwash. they come in a pack of 10 and you need nine. if i still have the packet i will post the part number but it was easy to find at the dealers computer parts list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.