MINI Cooper Forum banner

2007 MCS R56 boot open warning light/message on dash, squeal & rear wiper not working

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Keastondc 
#1 ·
2007 MCS R56 boot open warning light/message on dash, squeal & rear wiper not working

The car throws up a sound blip and a light and message on the dash intermittently to say and warn the boot is open. The boot is activated to open from the remote key fob.

As I press the remote to open the boot, instead of a pronounced (i.e. easily heard and audible) sound there is a slight and feeble click.

I've opened and shut a few times to ensure the boot is closed and shut. It doesn't rattle as if its partly or not properly engaged or shut and yet the sound blip, light and message keeps coming on and sounding.:puzzled:

The rear wiper blade has ceased to work at the same time I noticed the boot issues and I wonder if both boot and rear wiper are connected electrically in some way or other.:confused:

The car has had new discs and pads (Mintex) around six weeks ago. All of a sudden I find a loud squeal coming from what I think is the rear passenger wheel area. The squeal starts off as a whimper squeal (eek....eek.....eeeek....) and builds up to a loud sound heard outside and inside the car.

The squeal is intermittent and does not happen every day, dry or wet conditions it doesn't matter and comes when the car has been driven a few miles (so not from cold start).

When pressing the brake, it stops, when pressing the brake gently it dies down, when releasing its back. The car was looked at by a neighbour for any stones that could have chipped up from the road but as the contact with pads and discs is excellent, and the discs have no scoring so this is unlikely.

If anyone can help out before I contact BMW and face their booking and leave it with us and over the top costs I would appreciate it:)

Many thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Try to adjust the rubber stoppers that regulate the closed position of the boot. You will see them when the boot is open. hey are screw-like: turning them counter-clockwise increases the gap from the rest of the body, clockwise the opposite. Given your issue, turn them clockwise for a full circle and try.

The brake issue... Well obviously it has to do with the new pads. Do a couple of full-power stops to embed them and the issue should be gone. If not, then the calibers are not properly adjusted, which is possible if they changed everything. The service center who installed your dics/pads should help you on that.

Now the wiper... I think the computer blocks the wiper function when the boot is open. So it is not an electronics problem, but it works as it should. Fix the boot issue and the wiper should work again. If not, then you will have to check it with an electrician.

#3 ·
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your advice.

The car boot issue is sadly down to electrical. The brake issue squeal is because the mechanic (Halfords) didn't put some greasing.

The car also needs an oil temp sensor switch unit as it also gave the warning that the engine was overheating.

Kind regards

#5 ·

The car throws up a sound blip and a light and message on the dash intermittently to say and warn the boot is open. The boot is activated to open from the remote key fob.

As I press the remote to open the boot, instead of a pronounced (i.e. easily heard and audible) sound there is a slight and feeble click.

I've opened and shut a few times to ensure the boot is closed and shut. It doesn't rattle as if its partly or not properly engaged or shut and yet the sound blip, light and message keeps coming on and sounding.:puzzled:

The rear wiper blade has ceased to work at the same time I noticed the boot issues and I wonder if both boot and rear wiper are connected electrically in some way or other.:confused:

The car has had new discs and pads (Mintex) around six weeks ago. All of a sudden I find a loud squeal coming from what I think is the rear passenger wheel area. The squeal starts off as a whimper squeal (eek....eek.....eeeek....) and builds up to a loud sound heard outside and inside the car.

The squeal is intermittent and does not happen every day, dry or wet conditions it doesn't matter and comes when the car has been driven a few miles (so not from cold start).

When pressing the brake, it stops, when pressing the brake gently it dies down, when releasing its back. The car was looked at by a neighbour for any stones that could have chipped up from the road but as the contact with pads and discs is excellent, and the discs have no scoring so this is unlikely.

If anyone can help out before I contact BMW and face their booking and leave it with us and over the top costs I would appreciate it:)

Many thanks
Hey ladyuk. Did you ever sort the boot and rear wiper issue?
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but I’m having the exact same issue.
thanks.

#6 ·
I too am having the exact same issue.... boot open warning light coming on, even through the boot is firmly closed. I have recently replaced the tailgate latch (2nd hand one from fleebay) as the original had seized). Now it works, but the car still thinks the boot/tailgate is open.... very frustrating!
i have checked the bonnet switch and it seems fine...
anyone any ideas?

#7 ·
I have this sorted now!

For me, this turned out to be the latch. I had bought a second hand latch off eBay. This worked, but kept giving the boot open warning. Thinking a faulty 2nd part, I bought another one off eBay.... same result...

software told me the ECUs were all responding correctly....

Finally discovered that the switch I bought was not performing as it should, according to the wiring diagram.... Checked the part number.... WRONG SWITCH!!!

It seems there are loads of these switches available. Everyone please ensure that you but/acquire the correct part when yours goes faulty!

hope this helps someone!

#8 ·
Old thread but i need help
I am having same problem trunk warning with no rear wiper. The latch was broken/ stuck shut when i bought car, didnt pay attention when bought amazon replacement. I tried adjusting rubber stopper with no luck.

What do mean "switch" was wrong? Are you referring to the latch or the trunk release button between license plate light?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.