MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini R56 Slow Speed Clunk From Rear When Cold

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  supafreeza 
#1 ·
I noticed the rear end of my R56 Cooper clunking last winter, but as summer came it stopped. However, as soon as the temperature went below 9 deg C again, it returned. I took the rear wheels off and tried every single joint/bush in the rear suspension set up - nothing seemed to have excess movement but the clunk was still there!

I then had a chat with another R56 owner at work and he suggested changing the Anti-Roll Bar (ARB) bushes. So I went down to my local Mini dealer and ordered 2x 33 55 6 754 823 rear ARB bushes (total cost £9.50!!!).

The ARB bush is here as indicated by the red arrow:

This is how I changed it:

1. Jack up both sides of the car (you must do this to keep the tension off of the ARB.
2. Remove both wheels.
3. Using a 13mm ring spanner I undid both bolts on the ARB clamp - you can only get about 1/4 turn each time but it took a couple of minutes for each bolt (they are about 10-15mm long).
4. Only change one ARB at a time.
5. The bush has a slit in it as seen in the photo below, so you can slip it on the bar (make sure the bar is clean with WD40 so you don't introduce any grit).
6. Do up the clamp and then repeat on the other side.

Here is the old and new ARB bushes. Yes, there is wear, but it doesn't look excessive.

It took me 50 minutes to complete this and now my Mini Cooper R56 no longer clunks at slow speed...:D

I hope this helps someone else...

Gaz

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.