MINI Cooper Forum banner

MCS Clubman rear parking distance control

5K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  juge 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!
Me and my have owned MCS Clubman about a month now, so this "New-Mini" is quite new fellowship.

Clubman is R55 year 2007.

OK, the problem is with the rear PDC. It does not work at all - only once have wife said that it has worked. Not the whole day, just once when reversing.

This rear PDC is "beeping model", it is not that model which shows where the obstacle is (like Mini with integrated Navi shows), and there is no PDC at front.

Previous owner said that the rear bumber has once removed for re-paint, and after that the rear PDC has generated errors. After re-paint but still during ownership of prev. owner, he had fixed that problem few times at his local MINI dealership and he told me that one sensor (right side) has been changed. After that rear PDC has worked, but every now and then it has generated error, and prev. owners MINI dealership has tried to fix it some how, apparently re-connecting wires or so. Every now and then rear PDC was still making errors and that MINI dealership told him that next we have to renew right-centre PDC sensor. But that newer happened because prev. owner changed this Mini to another car.

We have reported this fault to the dealership where we bought it and at this point we are waiting two new sensors.

But I still have tried to make it work. So, what I have done so far is:
1. Removed and disconnected all sensors and sprayed some wd-40 to the connectors. I don't remember took it week or week and a half after spraying wd-40 when the rear PDC did work. But it worked only once.

2. Yesterday I removed and disconnected all those sensors and sprayed electric contact cleaner to connectors, charged the battery to full, but still it does not work. The battery is quite new and it is AGM battery.

The fault occurs always after second or two when engaging Reverse (transmission is manual). And the fault is noticed when Mini gives letter "P" with "!" -mark to the "Info" -screen in the rpm gauge and the audible chime. If you don't need to reverse from parking space, you can drive with out that error message all the time - until you need to engage reverse.

And when the fault comes up, rear PDC is totally mute, it does not beep at all, no crazy beeping (like when PDC sensors are blocked with ice and snow) or anything.

I have Scan Gauge II connected to Mini and I use it as a extra-gauges. I can scan the cars error codes with it, but the rear PDC does not leave any error codes to the car computer at all. I have even tried to scan error codes just a second or two after car gave the PDC error message to the info screen, still no error codes at all.

I have installed two different makes of aftermarket-PDC to our three different cars, and none of those have generated that kind of fault. The only fault with these aftermarket-PDC I've got is that "crazy-beeping" when sensors have been blocked by snow and ice.

Can anyone give any ideas which can cause that kind of error? Do I have to remove the rear bumber to check the wiring? The cable to the sensor (four sensors, four cables) have three different wires. Can it be checked some how with normal multimeter that there is "life" at the end of cable?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Problem solved. No worries no more, the rear PDC works fine now.

The fault was that sensor what previous owners Mini Dealership was told to him.

How I fixed it, was quite simple:
Remowed all the sensors and wrote down all the numbers. Three sensors had all the same numbers, one had one number-section different. Started to search to confirm that spare part number and found out that it is normal bmw part. OK, started to search car-dissembler companies and found from there dissembeld bmw which had same sensors as those three in Mini. Ordered two of those and changed that one sensor and now it works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.