MINI Cooper Forum banner

Battery warning light, overheating warning light

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  LizzyG 
#1 ·
I've got a 2006 cooper R56 that I've had since almost new, it's got about 60k on the clock now.

Tonight, the battery warning light came on then after about 5 minutes the overheating warning light came on. At the same time, the heater was blowing stone cold air despite being set to hot and the car was warmed up. When we arrived home the cooling fan ran after switching the engine off.

Has anyone got any ideas or had a similar problem?

Thanks.

Edit - just been out to look under the bonnet and the coolant level is really low, barely any in the expansion tank. What are the common areas for leaks?
I'm assuming this is unconnected to the battery light?

#2 ·
the fan will keep on running as the engine is so hot.
check the aux belt if thats broke then the alternater wont be working that will bring your battery light on, not sure if it also does the water pump. early minis had leaks from the thermostat housing or the expansion bottle, also make sure you bleed the water system right as minis can be a pain to get rid of air, also if theres no water in the system your heater wont get hot, sorry i cant be more help

kelv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.