post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Cooper S battery

Just wondering if anyone can help with an issue I've got with my battery, basically it's at the end of its life and the car is struggling to start occasionally. Just want to know if I could use a 12v 45ah when I've got a 12v 55ah fitted? And what's the difference between? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Just realised I put this in the wrong section, I was meant to put it in the first generation Cooper S section.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:23 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

As the AH (Amps/Hour) rating increase car batteries tend to get larger/heavier so if a battery fits the space available there is no harm fitting a higher AH rating battery. However it is not advisable to fit a smaller AH battery than that specified by the car manufacturer, a Mini One will probably have a lower AH battery than say a Mjni Cooper S as the higher model will usually make more demands on the battery for cranking the engine over and powering more electrical options fitted as standard, etc.

eg. A battery with a capacity of 1 amp-hour should be able to continuously supply a current of 1 amp to a load for exactly 1 hour, or 2 amps for 1/2 hour, or 1/3 amp for 3 hours, etc., before becoming completely discharged.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Cheers for the reply, so you'd recommend me using the same size battery? 12v 55ah
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:44 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Yes.....the 45AH will work but will reduce the safety factor, it may also struggle under certain conditions especially as it gets older and like say on a cold morning start up with heated windows, headlights and power steering pump, etc all working hard. Modern cars like the Mini make a lot of electrical demands on the battery even under normal running conditions.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2014, 02:00 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United Kingdom

If you are looking to replace the battery in a Gen 1 Cooper S, do make sure you are purchasing the correct size (dimension) battery as I found out from the RAC that many of the motor factors have the wrong battery listed for the Gen 1 Cooper S Mini.

When I used the RAC to supply and fit a replacement battery for my Cooper S I ordered it online supposedly using the car registration number to identify my vehicle, but when the fitter arrived to instal at my home he actually brought the battery I had ordered and the correct one for the car which is physically larger (and more expensive) than the one listed on-line.

If you get the wrong size battery the retaining clamp will not secure the battery in the boot!

In the end everything was fine with the correct battery, and they didn't charge me for the extra cost that I should have paid.

Spike
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

^^^ just found this out when I phoned my local car parts place, they told me there is 5 different sizes for the Cooper S between 2001-2005. Nightmare or what, I wouldn't mind but I work with cars everyday so I shouldn't have to be asking questions haha
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2014, 05:27 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads

Why not measure the dimensions of your battery and compare it to what is available?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 10:53 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 07:22 PM

Cyprus Male

The sizes and types are standardized. The MINI uses the german DIN system (easily identifiable as the battery has handles to lift and place). I think it should be about 28cm in length (not 30+) and about 18cm or less in height. As for the rating, go for at least the 55Ah indicated or higher. Bosch has catalogs detailing all battery dimensions and capacities online which can help you with your selection. Korean manufacturers also offer DIN batteries for similar ratings in a smaller size.

But measure yours to be sure, as I am writing out of memory and I have a 2nd gen.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2014, 08:51 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
Damned

United Kingdom Male View Restyle's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Restyle's Classified Ads

See chart HERE for all Car/Van battery sizes & number codes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.