MINI Cooper Forum banner

Time Chain Tensioner failure and Engine shut down

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jhl2435 
#1 ·
Hi, new to this forum and my first posting.

My Mini Cooper S (2009, has 60,000km on the clock (less than 40,000 miles)) just shut down while I was driving last week and has been taken to the BMW dealer service department for an engine diagnosis.

Two days later, my service advisor told me that the engine has been damaged due to Timing Chain Tensioner Failure and it will cost about 8-9000CAD to repair it, however, the timing chain tensioner has been recalled by MINI so all repairs would be covered by a warranty (My basic warranty (4years) has expired already).

I was so happy and satisfied even though I could be seriouly injured because of their well-known defect.

However, on the next day, the mechanic I know inside the BMW told me that they found the broken Vacuum Pump and it could damage the engine so the repairs would not be covered.

My advisor hasn't called me to deliver their final decision yet but if they tell me that the cost of repairs should be on me due to the broken vacuum pump is it the case I have to follow their decision or fight against them regarding the fact that they didn't deliver accurate information at the first time and changed their words.

I know BMW won't help the customer out making a loss and there should be nothing I could do to change their decision. However, I don't understand what could cause the engine damage to the less than 40,000 miles driven car.

I'm a typical city driver, only using my car to go to school and work that are within a city. Hard to pass 3RPM for me, not racing at all. Have changed the engine oil every 5000km (3000miles) and the oil level was good at the moment the car shut down. Haven't seen the engine warning sign before.

What should I have done more to protect my engine? It's really hilarious for me to worry about the engine at 40,000 miles. If assumed I have a bad habit when driving so it shortens the life of brake or other expendable parts, I will understand and admit my faults but have never heard the engine problem for the 4 year old car. It's my third car (Ford, Honda and Mini now) but first car I have an issue with the engine.

Sorry for the long story but would please someone advise me my next step against BMW if they change their words about the warranty and charge me in full for the reapirs?

Could they say that the broken vacuum pump was the only reason to damage the engine after they already said the timing chain tensioner was the problem at the first tiem? What does the VACCUM PUMP do anyway?

I really appreciate your taking time to read my story and reply.

I won't buy MINI again ever!!!:angry::angry::angry:

See less See more
#2 ·
Engine known for timing chain issues.

Fight it to be covered under warranty, soundalike they are trying to squirm out of paying!

If they are adamant, I would get an independent opinion on the vacuum pump being the problem, that might have broke when the timing chain failed.

If they are adamant or you think it won't get anywhere, see if you can get any goodwill 50/50 gesture off them?

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply ALD0:)

I haven't heard the final decision yet from the BMW. I think there is a bit of a grey area to charge me the full cost so they are still debating.

I'll ask them for sure to prove how the engine could get damaged solely by the broken vacuum pump first and if they're insistent yes I'll ask for 50/50 goodwill.

I'll be very thankful to pay the partial cost at this time:frown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.