MINI Cooper Forum banner

Death rattle - Mini One 1.4 2007

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ozmusafir 
#1 ·
Hello,

On Friday after completing a return trip of 150 miles, I was 1 mile away from my destination when I heard the sound of a rattle coming from the engine compartment from the driverside. Which led me to believe I am experiencing the infamous rattling chain due to a worn out Timing Chain tensioner or even worst the entire Timing Chain assembly. I intent to check oil level weekly due the mileage I cover therefore I can only put this down to bad luck. Yesterday when I started the car cold I heard the rattle for 20 second before it disappeared, however, it return 10 minutes later during the trip to the nearest garage.

My question is how common Timing Chain tensioner failure on a Mini One 1.4 2007?

What are the cost associated?

PS: I have a Mini One 1.4 2007 with 117,000 on the clock.

#4 ·
Update: Took the car to the local garage and discovered the strange rattle sound was coming from the tensioner pulley rather than the timing chain tensioner. The Tensioner pulley rubber support worn off and the auxiliary belt was grinding against metal. I'm going to pick up the car and report back tomorrow with the final conclusion. :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.