MINI Cooper Forum banner

R57 S loud buzz / grinding noise at shutoff

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Minitech93 
#1 ·
I need a little help - I bought a R57 S last fall and everything has been great but this one thing that is bugging me....a weird buzz / grinding noise that occurs when I shut the car off every once in a while

Here is what I know:
- car has to be warm / hot - driven hard or driven through stop and go traffic on a hot day (above 70°F)
- occurs as soon as I hit the shutoff button
- last about 2-3 seconds
- usually the cooling fans are on when the buzz stops

My dad seems to think it could be related to a solenoid for the cooling fans getting stuck when it gets warm....but I'm clueless and my mechanic could not reproduce it when I had the car in for something else

Any help / guidances would be wonderful...

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi tim, it's a hard one to guess and try and help you. But I have heard of one similar kinda noise being said during a dealer tranning course.

If it is after you have done a drive and the turbo is warm, this noise is like a ticker kinda noise also. This is the turbo cooling down and due to design if the engine is hot and more so your turbo is hot it will make a noise from a few seconds. It's mostly a design related of the cooling for that turbo engine.

Just while I am hear I would recommend after a long drive over 30mins to allow your turbo cooper s to idle for about a mini before turning it off this will allow the coolant feed turbo to cool down and allows the oil that's going round the bearing to slow down and keep a good oil feed. This most turbo failure are cause by lack of lube to the bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.