No Boost - Help! - MINI Cooper Forum

Second Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes Late 2006 - Present

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
No Boost - Help!

Hi,

Hoping one of you can help me or point me in the right direction

Ever since I have had my 08 Cooper S, there has been a lack of power. I thought nothing of it as I had nothing to compare it to. The car is driven mostly by the wife.
I recently had it in a garage to have a service done and was told that the turbo is not working at all

The garage connected it to a diagnostic machine, no error code. Played around with turbo to ensure the parts are working as they should, all fine. He then traced the vacuum pipe which connects to the turbo and it went all the way back to the pressure regulator valve. He thought maybe this wasnt working as should and bypassed the valve by disconnecting the in + out pipe and connecting together temporarily. Fired the car up, took it for a gentle spin and straight away the power was awesome, turbo doing its job but obvious overboost as there wasnt a valve in place to regulate the pressure/boost. I ordered a new valve (attached) from Mini and replaced the old one. Connected everything back up as normal, took the car for a drive and still no boost!

Is there something obvious that I am missing or any checks which i should do? The turbo is obviously working as we bypassed the valve and everything is fine. Any pointers would be great...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4143.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	175657  
yaw631 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2014, 10:19 AM
MINI2 Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male
 
Am thinking that your pressure converter is actually okay. Connecting the in/out together just bypasses the pressure converter and doesn't necessarily prove it's defective.

Not hugely familiar with the S setup, but on the diesel engine variants the pressure converter adjusts the VNT mechanism based on measured manifold pressure. So maybe your MAP sensor is bad. Either that or the electrical connection to the pressure converter is bad.

Am curious about this as I also have a lack of power on my Cooper D and no error codes showing...


Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw631 View Post
Hi,

Hoping one of you can help me or point me in the right direction

Ever since I have had my 08 Cooper S, there has been a lack of power. I thought nothing of it as I had nothing to compare it to. The car is driven mostly by the wife.
I recently had it in a garage to have a service done and was told that the turbo is not working at all

The garage connected it to a diagnostic machine, no error code. Played around with turbo to ensure the parts are working as they should, all fine. He then traced the vacuum pipe which connects to the turbo and it went all the way back to the pressure regulator valve. He thought maybe this wasnt working as should and bypassed the valve by disconnecting the in + out pipe and connecting together temporarily. Fired the car up, took it for a gentle spin and straight away the power was awesome, turbo doing its job but obvious overboost as there wasnt a valve in place to regulate the pressure/boost. I ordered a new valve (attached) from Mini and replaced the old one. Connected everything back up as normal, took the car for a drive and still no boost!

Is there something obvious that I am missing or any checks which i should do? The turbo is obviously working as we bypassed the valve and everything is fine. Any pointers would be great...
MiniDeLux is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Thanks for taking time to respond. Some good pointers which I will be sure to take a look at. Failing those, I don't think I want to waste any more time or money on the issue. It has been suggested to me to bypass the valve again, and install a manual boost pressure along with a gauge. That way I can control the boost to a level that the S is comfortable with



Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDeLux View Post
Am thinking that your pressure converter is actually okay. Connecting the in/out together just bypasses the pressure converter and doesn't necessarily prove it's defective.

Not hugely familiar with the S setup, but on the diesel engine variants the pressure converter adjusts the VNT mechanism based on measured manifold pressure. So maybe your MAP sensor is bad. Either that or the electrical connection to the pressure converter is bad.

Am curious about this as I also have a lack of power on my Cooper D and no error codes showing...
yaw631 is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2014, 01:55 PM
MINI2 Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male
 
Manual boost pressure and gauge won't work. ECU will expect a mapping between manifold pressure and air to fuel and will throw codes if measured doesn't compare to reference. You'll get yourself into more difficulties taking that approach like under and over-boost conditions. Strongly advise against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw631 View Post
Thanks for taking time to respond. Some good pointers which I will be sure to take a look at. Failing those, I don't think I want to waste any more time or money on the issue. It has been suggested to me to bypass the valve again, and install a manual boost pressure along with a gauge. That way I can control the boost to a level that the S is comfortable with
MiniDeLux is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
By the way, is the MAP sensor the the part I have circled in the attached picture? This hasn't been changed yet, the only thing that was done during diagnostics was that it was unplugged, which resulted in the engine management light coming on. Does this prove proper operation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	175673  
yaw631 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:43 PM
MINI2 Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male
 
That looks about right to me.

Actually, I am also having an issue with power loss on my Clubman D and have exactly the same question as you regarding sensors and error lights. I strongly suspect that if the sensor is disconnected and it throws a CEL, then it's working properly but I am not absolutely certain.
MiniDeLux is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2014, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
I will order a new sensor and let you know how I get on, they aren't very expensive.

Not sure if you can entirely rely on the engine management light. Could it be that when plugged in, the car still detects the sensor as plugged in and assumes that it's working? (Even if in reality it's not doing the job). Or is it clever enough to know that although plugged in it's not working how it should?
I don't know the history of the car before I bought it, for all I know there could have been some type of error code related to this part and it was just cleared, therefore the car thinks nothing is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDeLux View Post
That looks about right to me.

Actually, I am also having an issue with power loss on my Clubman D and have exactly the same question as you regarding sensors and error lights. I strongly suspect that if the sensor is disconnected and it throws a CEL, then it's working properly but I am not absolutely certain.
yaw631 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2014, 06:47 PM
MINI2 Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male
 
Could be it only looks for the sensor, so maybe it provides a bad reading, but it still present. Would have to see which code gets thrown.
MiniDeLux is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Map sensor changed, still the same issue. Taking it to a BMW/Mini specialist to have a look. Will keep you updated..



Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDeLux View Post
Could be it only looks for the sensor, so maybe it provides a bad reading, but it still present. Would have to see which code gets thrown.
yaw631 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Local Time: 02:47 AM
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Issue finally fixed car is now running and driving like a dream. There was some corroded wiring which was causing an issue between the electrics. The mechanic tried to explain to me exactly what was wrong, but I didn't understand too well due to the lack of knowledge I have with turbos and how the electronics of a car work


Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw631 View Post
Map sensor changed, still the same issue. Taking it to a BMW/Mini specialist to have a look. Will keep you updated..
yaw631 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Read here if speccing visual boost radio (Saves you money!) ryanm8655 Third Generation MINI Cooper S 2 Jun 7th, 2014 12:31 PM
R56 no boost das882 Second Generation MINI Cooper S 1 Dec 3rd, 2013 08:01 PM
R56 Cooper S fault codes/ no boost das882 Welcome New Members 3 Mar 27th, 2013 09:45 AM
Visual boost to mini connected cdgill241184 General Discussion 0 Mar 1st, 2013 08:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome