MINI Cooper Forum banner

Automatic, won't shift out of park

13K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mousemaniac 
#1 ·
My girlfriend recently bought a 2008 Mini, and she's having problems with it. It is an automatic with paddle shifters, and the shifter will not come out of park. It's done it once before, and I was able to fix it by popping the cover off the shifter and raising the lever to bypass the lock, but now that won't work. My knowledge of Euros is very slim, I'm more of a JDM guy, and I'm out of ideas. Anyone able to help me out?

#2 ·
Sounds like it has a VW auto 6 sp box, Best to see what fault codes come up if able to drive to the closest transmission shop who has the BMW software.
I would suggest checking Brake sensor, I also hear the cables into the box are having a problem with the connectors, I am told oil contamination past seals.
Mine has a build date of 10/07 and is sticking in 3rd. Looks like any of these boxes are lucky to get to 50,000klms without failing in some way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.