post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2014, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
Local Time: 04:00 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada Female
R56 N12 on her last leg...HELP!

Base model R56 non s , After 2 weeks of being painted MINI has has considerable loss of power. Brought to local mechanic. Top guide rail broke. Whole Timing chain assembly replaced. Serpentine belt replaced and camshaft seal replaced. Solenoids cleaned and switched. Codes now being thrown are 2845 VANOS Exhaust Activation Movement. 2781 Combustion Misfire Several Cylinders. 2771 Combustion Misfire Cylinder1. 2779 Combustion Misfire Cylinder 4. 283D VANOS Exhaust Adaption Stop. Has anyone experienced an excessive Blowby? (NO JOKES PLEASE!!) My Cooper has registered 240psi on #3 piston. And 60 psi on # 1,2 and 4. My local mechanic is taking her appart one last time to pull a piston to check the rings. After this I may be forking out for a new motor. It's been 47 days and counting since I drove my MINI. I need her back..I've read and asked if it was carbon on the back of the intake, coils, the Ac being on, soft hoses, Exhaust leak all were checked and are fine. Is there something we can do to save her? She has a bad idol, shakes whole car, stalls under 1000k but runs smooth over 1000k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_135611.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	177746  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2014, 11:30 AM
MINI2 Senior
Local Time: 08:00 AM

Luxembourg Male
Compression values on 1,2 and 4 don't seem good at all. Suggestive of badly worn rings or other damage. Wonder if it could be related to valve damage as a result of timing chain issue? Think you have to get in there and look at the condition of the cylinders/pistons. Can the mechanic not use a flexible camera rather than breaking the engine down?

How many km's on this car? Were there problems before it was taken in to be painted? Did you bring this to the attention of the paint shop before driving off the lot?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
Local Time: 04:00 AM

Canada Female
Sorry I asked a few forums about my plee this past summer I forgot to give an update here. I totally rebuilt my R56 n12 Cooper (non s). She is running like a charm now. Two of my pistons were cracked on the sides inbetween the rings causing excessive blowby. We replaced many different parts. Some in dire need like the serpintine belt and plugs. Now that I know about the timing chain rattle, we'll replace it before it ever gets that bad again. I since had my bumper repaired due to a minor bump this winter and never broght it to the same repair shop. (Never again). Total cost for the rebuild was around 6K. I plan on keeping her for a long while. At least I know what's under the hood. Thanks for your input and Motor on.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.