post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2014, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:27 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Another Clutch Noise Question- Mini Cooper 2008

First of all apologies for another clutch noise issue. However, I have just bought a 2008 Mini Cooper Convertible (not s) - 36k on the clock (second hand so no warranty etc). I have just noticed that when the car is both stationary in neutral and driving there is a slight rattle (not very loud but just about noticeable) that goes away when you press the clutch down.

So...I have read all the clutch-related issues on this forum (very very useful - a great community to have joined up to) and I am clearly concerned that this is going to be an expensive job and could involve a new clutch, gearbox and/or DMF replacement.

Now, I have no technical understanding of cars whatsoever (probably shouldn't have bought second hand for that reason but it's done now) but I would be very grateful if anyone out there could confirm what the problem is likely to be and how much it's going to cost to sort it.

I did belatedly look back at the service history and noticed that the noise was reported as far back as 2011 so I wonder (in hope more than expectation) whether it would be ok to just leave it.

Bit depressing after being excited with my new mini which is perfect in every other way!!

Thanks for any advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2014, 01:46 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

This is quite common with many cars if its only a very faint sound. Its a little bit of slack in the bearing that pushes against the pressure plate / clutch plate. Nothing to worry about.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2014, 10:21 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male

I had an identical issue on a 2009 Clubman that started from the time I bought the car. I documented my experience in a thread on here. Was a knocking noise at idle that disappeared when the clutch pedal was depressed. I informed the dealer about it during the warranty period. Sometime after 55,000km, the clutch failed. Because of my initial complaint BMW/Mini covered part of the cost. It was, nevertheless, still not cheap.

That having been said, I am now on the second clutch which has been in the car for almost 70,000km and I can tell you that there is a similar - but slightly different - noise. Small rattle at idle rather than a knocking. With the clutch in the noise goes away. The clutch seems to be fine and I agree with the previous poster that this is normal transmission noise.

In any case, I would just drive it until it fails and stop worrying about it. If the clutch isn't slipping you shouldn't worry about it. All clutches need to be replaced eventually anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.