MINI Cooper Forum banner

Bonnet touching body

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have experience of adjusting the bonnet nearest the screen? Mine is touching the wing / a panel and had damaged the paint, but I don't want to start loosening things in case I mess it up completely.

Bonnet seems to sit low on the passenger side and high on the drivers when you look at where the chrome strip meets the one at the top of the a panel.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Perhaps a silly question, but have you tried adjusting the bonnet bumpers? Basically two rubber bumpers that screw into the struts under the front of the bonnet, one either side. As a guide, mine are about 1/2 to 3/4 inches proud of the strut. Make sure you don't adjust too far out or else the bonnet won't catch both sides when you close it.

#3 ·
Yep first thing I tried but makes no difference to the clearance at the back end of the bonnet.

Thinking I either need to bite the bullet and get a bodyshop to take a look (needs repainting anyway) or start loosening the hinge bolts one at a time and see if I can get some movement in the right direction

#4 ·
Mines very close too, but not marking the paint as yet.
I guess its as the hinges settle/wear a little and allow the rear of the bonnet to sit slightly lower?
If you do try adjustments make sure you mark the current position of them with tape or a pencil/pen so you can always return it back to that position as you know everything works at that setting, then once you have you datums marked try adjusting a little at the hinge and move it forwards or up very slightly and keep trying to see how it affects the gap. Thats all I can suggest, its a bit trial and error.
I might be wise to remove the grille too so you can access the bonnet catches easier just in case they get stuck if the adjustments wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.