MINI Cooper Forum banner

Stop start problem

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a Mini Cooper s 08. There appears to be a problem with the stop start. The engine will stop but starts again within ten seconds? I have had a new battery fitted and the gearbox set to zero?
Could anyone help?

#2 ·
Did the new battery make any difference, if only for a few days?

One ECU test I have seen for the stop/start is a loss of brake vacuum, so I wonder if you could have a vacuum leak between the servo and intake? Any similar brake problems, like the car needing to be firmly held on the brake pedal after a while?

You have probably already spent more money than the stop/start will save, so you could just learn to switch off the stop/start - though finding the reason might fix a fault before it has any other effect.

#3 ·
If you have the air con set to Auto it will cause the stop start to restart the engine or prevent it stopping all together, sometimes you have these things on and forget and its always on.
You need to make sure every battery draining device is switched off then see if it behaves as it should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.