MINI Cooper Forum banner

MINI death rattle/ cold start =MINI dead?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cardinal007 
#1 ·
Hey folks I have an R56 Mini Cooper s the car was my dream car and I loved it so much, unfortunately it developed the cold start death rattle and after several trips to the garage (where no fault could be found) my beloved MINI finally stopped ;(
I had it assessed by a mechanic who informed me the timing chain had jumped and my MINI would require a new engine to be back to his former glory, he didn't think it was worth the expense but couldn't give me exact figures.
Now I'm wondering several things, is this repairable? And if so at what expense? Also is it worth repairing or should I just accept its fate?
Thanks in advance,
Andy

#3 ·
Common issue with Mini. No serious damage replace cam chain tensioner and guide assembly and reset the valve timing...... The 2007 R56 is a non interference motor if its the twin cam 16valve naturally aspirated so no major damage should be caused if the chain has jumped a few teeth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.